Saw bike as mine stolen online today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

More realistic than pessimistic.

If that sounds better to you. I choose to believe something can be done.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Why not ask about buying it. To do this you'd need to see it first. Gives you an excuse for having someone else with you.

So far none of my friends expressed excitement about possibility of being stabbed ..not sure I would be so lucky. Plus she is still not replying even with pictures not mentioning the address.

classic33

Leg End Member
Never expect an instant reply. They may be working, or if you've asking too often, they may got nervous and devided not to answer.

That last part assuming that it is a stolen bike they are selling. The use of pictures from sites is quite common.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Never expect an instant reply. They may be working, or if you've asking too often, they may got nervous and devided not to answer.

That last part assuming that it is a stolen bike they are selling. The use of pictures from sites is quite common.

Trying to be patient but this is literally killing me.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. If your feeling that this bike could be yours ,arrange to meet up with the seller to view it.Take a friend with you ,and get them to hide away (just round the corner)before you get to the sellers address, with a spare key to your car.
Ask the seller if you can take the bike for a quick test ride ( not unreasonable if your a prospective buyer) and give them an old scrap car key as reassurance it's from your car.
( to gain there trust your just not going to ride off into the sunset with it)
Once you've got out of sight , you can check the serial number without them gaining suspicion. If it is your bike call your friend and tell them to get the car and drive off. :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Hi. If your feeling that this bike could be yours ,arrange to meet up with the seller to view it.Take a friend with you ,and get them to hide away (just round the corner)before you get to the sellers address, with a spare key to your car.
Ask the seller if you can take the bike for a quick test ride ( not unreasonable if your a prospective buyer) and give them an old scrap car key as reassurance it's from your car.
( to gain there trust your just not going to ride off into the sunset with it)
Once you've got out of sight , you can check the serial number without them gaining suspicion. If it is your bike call your friend and tell them to get the car and drive off. :-)

Got to have quite balls to do it..ahhah not sure if I have it in me

johnnyb47

Guru
I think your right. Reading back my post does sound a little melodramatic now. You could just ask to take the bike for a quick ride though, and check the serial number away from the sellers prying eye's.

gaijintendo

Veteran
If you saw it would you know if it was yours. If you would then take someone with you and go and see it. Take your paperwork with you and if its the same frame number show them its yours. If you need to call the police while you are standing there.

My guess is that if it is yours they would rather give you it back than have the police involved.

But you need to do something sharpish or it will be gone.

My question is. Why would a thief give away a brand new lock and light_

If a thief was to give you a new lock and light, they might like to give you a Pound land lock and light. That way they could sell the bike again in a month.

Have you ridden your bike very much before it was stolen ? What I mean is, are there any components that were worn and that you have replaced which would not have been the original equipment, brake blocks, chain ,tyres . If the person selling their cycle hasn't done anything or many miles then you wouldn't expect much wear or different components to be fitted.
If when you are at the seller's house viewing the bike it would be a reasonable request to check the frame number against the stolen bike database. A genuine seller would accept that as being a reasonable request.
If you go to see the bike take several friends, one with a phone camera to take pictures whilst out of sight, the other person to go with you to view it and to act as back up.
It could be that the person is genuine and that it is not your bike.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Have you ridden your bike very much before it was stolen ? What I mean is, are there any components that were worn and that you have replaced which would not have been the original equipment, brake blocks, chain ,tyres . If the person selling their cycle hasn't done anything or many miles then you wouldn't expect much wear or different components to be fitted.
If when you are at the seller's house viewing the bike it would be a reasonable request to check the frame number against the stolen bike database. A genuine seller would accept that as being a reasonable request.
If you go to see the bike take several friends, one with a phone camera to take pictures whilst out of sight, the other person to go with you to view it and to act as back up.
It could be that the person is genuine and that it is not your bike.

Well they stole the bike without the front wheel so that could be quite a clue..I only installed bottle holder and mudguard so that's pretty easy to uninstall I imagine. I used bike quite a lot but mostly for short city trips so it doesn't look like is too much used. Of course it is a possibility that this is not my bike but I have got to check it! She will be okay to show me frame number if she is genuine seller but what if she is not? what if she has friends around? what if they get nervous? I have lots of questions in my head right now.

The problem is she was supposed to send me photos yesterday (and before yesterday) and she didn't do it. I messaged her and no reply. I am thinking to ask another friend to call her today if photos don't arrive today as well and maybe straight away arrange meeting since she doesn't seem to want to send the photos...she might just be slow, busy but I am worried. Any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom