saying really stupid things??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I was just sending a text to my daughter and thinking what a pain it is " wouldn't it be good if you could just speak into it" I said, "thats called a phonecall" came the witty rejoinder from Mrs (ever tolerent) BG:blush: Ah well........ Anybody else plumbed those depths of stupidity???

Arch

Married to Night Train
bobg said:
I was just sending a text to my daughter and thinking what a pain it is " wouldn't it be good if you could just speak into it" I said, "thats called a phonecall" came the witty rejoinder from Mrs (ever tolerent) BG:blush: Ah well........ Anybody else plumbed those depths of stupidity???

Classic!

I once commented, having watched something on TV about facial reconstruction (you know, building up what someone looked like, with clay and stuff, from the skull) that it would be cool to do it in reverse, and find out what your own skull looked like. Then someone reminded me of the existance of X rays...

Although I still reckon, it's not the same as actually holding something that represents your own skull.

NickM

Veteran
There was a girl I once worked with who thought that when the clocks went back there was suddenly 1 hour less daylight. Really.

She was very nice, all the same.

I was talking to a young lady a while back who had never heard of the Beatles and then thought that loose leaf tea came from opening up tea bags. :wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
Lord of the Teapot said:
I was talking to a young lady a while back who had never heard of the Beatles and then thought that loose leaf tea came from opening up tea bags. :biggrin:

Did you offer to show her your puppies? :wacko:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My mum told me off for finishing the last of the apples, and said :-
'They don't grow on trees you know!'
I was 12. Even then I knew they did, really.

yenrod

bobg said:

Actually Bob you aint wrong or stupid: what you need us 'pushtotalk' - originated in the USA whereby you just get the no. up on your phone and push a button and your instantly connected instead of waiting to be c o n n e c t e d.........:wacko:

I have a good friend who thinks in a very concrete way...On a recent cycle tour, we were talking about owls. One of the group was explaining that a common misconception about owls is that they're wise - in fact they have very small brains because most of their head is taken up by the eyes, being very big in order to see at night. So, speaking metaphotically, he said 'the eyes are so big, there's no brain in there', so my friend immediately jumps in with the question 'so where's its brain then?'. A sensible question, one might think, except you were supposed to get the subtle metaphor...

Later in the same tour, we were discussing something or other and another one of the group mixed up the phrase 'elephant in the room' with 'skeleton in the closet' and ended up saying 'elephant in the closet'. Whether you're describing something big and unmissable or quiet and hidden, cramming an elephant into a wardrobe in the process aint going to get you very far...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
Later in the same tour, we were discussing something or other and another one of the group mixed up the phrase 'elephant in the room' with 'skeleton in the closet' and ended up saying 'elephant in the closet'. Whether you're describing something big and unmissable or quiet and hidden, cramming an elephant into a wardrobe in the process aint going to get you very far...

:wacko: Fantastic image...

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
yenrod said:
Actually Bob you aint wrong or stupid: :wacko:

Thanks Yenners but I'm sure I am, Mrs BG has been telling me so since about 1973:sad: Which reminds me ...
If a man goes into a wood and says something and there's no woman there, is he wrong?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Driving to work many years ago. I realised that I had left my mobile phone at home. No problem, just go back home and get it. I opened the front door and my ex was on the phone = 'I was just calling you to tell you that you left your mobile at home!'

col

Legendary Member
Im sure we all do this sometimes?But when a fact is spoken to us,for example,"Its pouring down outside" We answer with"Is it?"

yello

Kirstie said:
So, speaking metaphotically, he said 'the eyes are so big, there's no brain in there', so my friend immediately jumps in with the question 'so where's its brain then?'. A sensible question, one might think, except you were supposed to get the subtle metaphor...

I'm afraid I missed it too! :wacko::blush:

When a phoneline goes dead you say 'can you hear me?' Why? You can't hear the answer!

MichaelM

Guru
I was in town with my wife, and had just bought a compass to go hill walking the next day.

Walking back to the car, I said "hang on, let's make sure we're going the right way" and pulled out the compass. It just so happened that the needle was pointing directly along the street in the direction that we were going.

"This is the right way" I said, and showed her the red needle pointing in the direction we were walking.

To which she replied......

How does the compass know where we parked the car?

It's true.

Top Bottom