Saying your a cyclist increases your chance of a job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, fair comment. CV's must be different too then.
They are a movable feast, always have been!

But in the UK it's always been normal/common to include a short "personal shoot" section. I gather USA is similar?

You would generally "tune" it according to the job. I don't always mention my missile guidance hobby.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Possibly, because it’s popular with a LOT of nobbers (me included).

If I was employing someone and they mentioned they were a keen cricket fan (red ball cricket, that is), I’d feel inclined to give them the job on the spot.
What would the chances be of a second cricket loving greenskeeper existing in Norway be?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I've never been asked this sort of thing. Is it common in an interview in the English speaking world?
Probably not, but the last interview board I sat on comprised three cyclists, so we decided to use “What sort of bike do you ride?” as an icebreaker question. There were other factors considered - obviously - but the successful candidate rides a Trek. :smile:

simongt

Guru
If you mention you're a Daily Mail enthusiast
I once went for a job in the Civil Service and at the interview I was asked what newspaper I read. When I told them Daliy Express, frowns of disapproval. :angry: Didn't get the job - ! :rofl:

Last few times I have got advise about creating a cv I have been told to keep the 'Hobbies and Interests' section out of it

before that (20+ years before) it was supposed to be critical because it fleshes out you character. It also help the interviewer as it can provide a nice easy friendly starting point before they start talking about serious stuff

All uphill

Still rolling along
I agree, but IME the response from transport engineers in the field to criticism of cycle path infrastructure they have been responsible for is usually "I'm a cyclist myself".
If my memory is correct the new(ish) guidance on highway design, LTN 1/20, says that the designers of highways and cycleways should be cyclists. It is amazing how many ambitious local authority highways people suddenly brushed off their bikes and made the occasional foray onto the (inadequate) infrastructure.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've a relative who works in a high flying job in HR* in the UK and from her descriptions of interviews there, the methods used are very different to what I've experienced here.

*Or at least she did before losing her job because of Brexit.

Is she a bird?

Probably the only context in which I can get away with saying that these days. ^_^

Top Bottom