Saying your a cyclist increases your chance of a job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Andy you've possibly got this the wrong way round; you put that stuff on your CV to give you an opportunity to big yourself up at the interview! It's not an excuse for them to dig into your life, looking for dirt :P
You get to sound keen about something, and subtly mention the transferable skills you've picked up; and hopefully make a connection with the interviewer. It's also a chance to bring something light-hearted to the session, so both sides get a positive feeling about each-other.

Germany has pretty strict ideas on what is "private" and not the business of an employer and this may be one of those things. I know someone with a disability doesn't have to disclose it if they don't want to, technically it isn't the business of an employer and a person with a non visible disability is legally allowed to lie about their disability if asked directly. As they would then lose some extra support and extra holiday allowance it isn't in their interests to do so, however.

I was certainly told not to bother with "hobbies" but I should include "voluntary work" which is culturally seen as very positive, but even then there are odd loopholes. I know from a colleague who is a voluntary fireman that they are not legally required to tell an employer until the contract is signed, and the employer has no right to stop them going out on a call.

Germany is an interesting place sometimes...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hmmm.

So there isn't actually any evidence to support the OP's proposition that saying your a cyclist increases your chance of a job. ^_^

in my interview for the job im in now. i mentioned cycling turns out that he was a cyclist as well and we had a 15 minute chat about it... helped get over a tricky bit of my C.V about why a left my previous job lol.... still there 4 years later and not planning on leaving anytime soon

Top Bottom