Scary !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What a bunch of complete pricks - as has been said utterly disgraceful behaviour. Glad there were some sort of repercussions for those responsible.

This raises the interesting point of passing horses (as I had to the other day) - wide is obviously a given but I wondered about speed.. I know horses don't like noises behind them and I wonder whether they're more likely to be spooked by the sound of something relatively quiet (drivetrain / tyres / freewheel) ominiously creeping closer and whether it'd be better to press on just to get past them. Obviously the difference in the speeds cars and bikes are capable of is significant and what's considered slow for a car (say 20mph) is less-so for a bike..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OMG! Were bears involved as well! 😳

😉
only after the horse rider set them loose to get their own back
1599662680590.png

boydj

Legendary Member
What a bunch of complete pricks - as has been said utterly disgraceful behaviour. Glad there were some sort of repercussions for those responsible.

This raises the interesting point of passing horses (as I had to the other day) - wide is obviously a given but I wondered about speed.. I know horses don't like noises behind them and I wonder whether they're more likely to be spooked by the sound of something relatively quiet (drivetrain / tyres / freewheel) ominiously creeping closer and whether it'd be better to press on just to get past them. Obviously the difference in the speeds cars and bikes are capable of is significant and what's considered slow for a car (say 20mph) is less-so for a bike..

Slowly, and preferably with a vocal warning, particularly if approaching from behind. This makes the rider aware and the horse knows there is a human approaching, so won't be spooked.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Slowly, and preferably with a vocal warning, particularly if approaching from behind. This makes the rider aware and the horse knows there is a human approaching, so won't be spooked.
Thanks - that sounds like a rational approach :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
???? Where the *** did you get that idea? Have you never done a bike race in this country?
Talk to any time triallist and they dream of the times when you could ride on the A1 on Saturday afternoon and get a massive boost from all the traffic sucking you along.
Road races, apart from the few big pro events, also may operate in a sort of convoy for the main bunch, but on open roads. get dropped and you are on your own.
Mind you the scaredy cat mummy's boys may soon stop all that.

I have no interest in racing so no. To be honest I wasn’t thinking of time trials, wouldn’t have thought they’d be held on roads where you might encounter horse riders. Didn’t realise smaller races went on without rolling road blocks.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
These are my actions to , I always call out when approaching from behind . I was fortunate in my early cycling years to cycle with a lady who was both a keen cyclist and horse woman . That was her advice and I have always followed it.

DRM

Guru
Just some twit stirring up old news to keep the anti cyclist cobblers going, I assume he’s whiter than white, and never ever pulled any stupid manoeuvres on his motorbike.

Top Bottom