School - 1960 - 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
School 1960 vs. School 2007
Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1960 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1960 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.

2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpertrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

gary r

Guru
not far from the truth!!! My 7 yr old (yr 2 infants) had a bit of a tantrum in class,ripped a page from his excercise book & pushed a teacher,I recieved a call at work demanding i attend a meeting the next day,arrived at school to grilled by headmistress & 2 behavior experts,My son was segregated from the other children for 2 days including play time & i had to take another 1/2 day from work to go back to the school when he was introduced back into the class.he was terrified of going back into class after that episode!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
gary r said:
not far from the truth!!! My 7 yr old (yr 2 infants) had a bit of a tantrum in class,ripped a page from his excercise book & pushed a teacher,I recieved a call at work demanding i attend a meeting the next day,arrived at school to grilled by headmistress & 2 behavior experts,My son was segregated from the other children for 2 days including play time & i had to take another 1/2 day from work to go back to the school when he was introduced back into the class.he was terrified of going back into class after that episode!!!!
Unfortunately schools feel they have to do all this cr@p for fear of litigation (alweays blame lawyers when you can ;)) or complaints from other parents. Personally I'd be tempted to go along and say "look, he was naughty. I don't mind you telling him off and keeping him in for a playtime or two, it'll be good for him". However, many parents refuse to believe their kid can do any wrong and will bite the head off anyone who dare suggest otherwise. I blame the parents (not you mr gary r, the others), lawyers and Mrs Thatcher just for good measure.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Some is right, some is wrong.
At the school i go to, the kids that mess about, will get taken out of lesson and put in isolation which most dont bother to do. They get taken out from school and get to do activities like canoeing and other things like that. They also get to do fun things and relax. While the kids that dont mess about and do the work get told they cannot go on trips because the head teacher wont allow it, and that its too much hard work to fill in the forms, and that we havent got time. The forms that have to be filled in for the trips are about a 20+ page booklet which has to be filled in with all the risks about what might go wrong.
Then of course you have the kids that walk round the school like they own it, because they know the teachers cant do anything. If you dont go lesson you get a detention which is an hour after school which most dont do. But if your good in your detention you get to go 15 mins earlier.
If you do fall over in school, most people just leave it. But if you cut yourself, try getting a plaster. They cant give you one incase your illergic to them. I only managed to get one once, the women behind the desk even cut the bit of fingernail off that was just hanging on. Bad accidents have to go in the accident book just incase, so that parents cant prosecute the school.
When fights happen the kids just get excluded or have a telling off, then let on their way. What alot of kids think is its whoever punched the other person first, which is complete rubbish. Basicly you get seperated and put into seperate rooms, and have some senior management person come and tell you about it, and write down a statement just incase.
So basicly you cant do anything in schools.

Bonno

Guru
My 7 year old grandson was expelled from school for three days, without warning, after refusing to come in after break time, and acting like a dog during class, threatening to p*ss up the kids legs! ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Bonno said:
My 7 year old grandson was expelled from school for three days, without warning, after refusing to come in after break time, and acting like a dog during class, threatening to p*ss up the kids legs! :smile:

Cant see problem with doing that. :tongue:
A teacher gave a kid in class detention, C3,(well she had a C2-second verbel warning) for smiling at her.

Dave5N

Über Member
Don't understand how anyone can think it right to physically assault children.

Keith Oates

Janner
My son's school asked the wife to attend (I'm away from home due to work) because he was 'answering back' to the teacher. That to me is the teacher's problem and let them get on with it and sort it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Well I don't.

I dont either,never seen the need,but i was being sarcastic,in that this has been debated in a shall we say well rounded talk, before:smile:

Top Bottom