Schoolchildren crossing at Junctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mulletino

Über Member
Yesterday going home, I was turning left and 3 kids were waiting to cross- the first 2 were looking, but the 3 was far away and just walked into the road as I was passing!
Luckily all that happened was my brake lever was pushed to the side a bit -
But like dogs, next time I will be more wary that I am usually.

As you should. If you are near a school or ever see kids on a pavement you shoukd proceed with caution.

Children are erratic but you still have a responsibility on a bike to be able to ride safely around them.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Kids is exactly why I can't use the cycle lane from my house, they walk four aside. It does not bother me at all, its the car drivers that beep and shout "use the bloody cycle lane" that pee me off.
I have kids, and one of them walks on said path, with her three or four friends, four aside. Lol.

OP
OP
mulletino

mulletino

Über Member
You weren't turning left in to a road with a single dashed line across your lane were you?

Not sure- but probably. I cant really remember!
Interesting you asked that as it meant I looked it up on t'internet. In section 170 on road junctions it tells all.... esp re pedestrians having right of way if they have started to cross.
Take home message for me- take extra care.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Indeed, I'm always cautious around pedlemmings in general, but young ones get an extra special second look. Although at least received Cycle Chat wisdom seems to be we can't damage them too much anyway :-)

The right of way thing is a bugbear of mine as very few people seem to know/care about the meaning of a set of dotted lines going across a junction (then again that includes the people commissioning the lines, some of the places I've seen them).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Kids in groups definitely need to be careful, I've had footballs kicked across the road from one side to the other and back again or other times they are so concerned with talking to their mates that they just step into the road backwards even. Sometimes you expect them to do something daft, other times it catches you off guard. Luckily my brakes are good, and tend to give a loud squeak when pulled on hard! (Which makes them look around!)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Indeed, I'm always cautious around pedlemmings in general, but young ones get an extra special second look. Although at least received Cycle Chat wisdom seems to be we can't damage them too much anyway :-)

The right of way thing is a bugbear of mine as very few people seem to know/care about the meaning of a set of dotted lines going across a junction (then again that includes the people commissioning the lines, some of the places I've seen them).
Which particular bit? The bit that says we should give way to any pedestrian crossing the side road?

OP
OP
mulletino

mulletino

Über Member
HA! Funny you talk about kids and footballs. As I was passing 2 lads, they used me as a moving target - again yesterday! Missed of course, but in the winter I was hit rather skillfully with a snowball on that same road by a (who knows the same?) kid . Foundry Lane in Leeds if anyone knows it....

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sometimes pass the local kids during knocking out time there. A right nightmare, you need to really read every individual as best as you can as you approach (even if slowly). Doesnt mean they aint a nightmare for just bumbling under your wheel, so to speak. How I havent hit one is possibly a bit down to luck, as sad as it is to say. I've even had cause to email this particular school to tell them to remind the teens of the green cross code after I saw a van lock up its wheels to avoid hitting one of the little sods...

...they seem to think its a game. Pain is no game, it fecking hurts...

Andy Roadie

170 actually states "watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"
Does not actually have to be a side road.

Top Bottom