Schwalbe marathon plus punctured

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Turned out to be a clout nail the type of thing used for holding felt to a shed roof. Goodness knows how that came to be on there.
That's a very worrying thing, it smacks of cycle hating numpties to me. :cursing:
Lol.

Perhaps in a rural area someone had some kind of she'd they were fixing?

I've had two M+ punctures. In one, some cycle hating numpty (TM) had accidentally dropped a 6-inch nail into the road in London from their builder's lorry. The second was a largenand very sharp flint that worked its way into a tandem tyre.

M+ are great, but they're only puncture resistant.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My LBS persuaded me to try Schwalbe Marathon in 2012. At the time I'd ridden +/- 6 years on Gatorskins without a puncture. I had three punctures in 10 days with the Schwalbe.

Binned them forever.

D

Deleted member 26715

Lol.

Perhaps in a rural area someone had some kind of shed they were fixing?
The Tissington Trail is an old railway line, it is for cyclist, walkers & horses only, there is no other traffic, it crosses very few roads as most are bridges or tunnels, the proof would be whether it was a new or used nail. Joking aside it is likely to be sabotage by a walker as there are a lot of ignorant cyclists who tear down there expecting everybody to get out of their way.

Last edited by a moderator:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Tissington Trail is an old railway line, it is for cyclist, walkers & horses only, there is no other traffic, it crosses very few roads as most are bridges or tunnels, the proof would be whether it was a new or used nail. Joking aside it is likely to be sabotage by a walker as there are a lot of ignorant cyclists who tear down there expecting everybody to get out of there way.
Quite. :cursing:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I found the M+ puncture rate no better/worse than other tough tyres (Gatorskin Hardshell, Bontrager Racelite Hardcase and Vittoria Randonneur Pro).

That is, punctures are rare. About one every 18 months or so on the commuter. A lot depends on riding away from the gutter and periodic inspection and removal of embedded debris.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Slightly off topic as its Schwalbe Durano Plus rather than Marathon Plus, but here's a pic of a tyre that successfully protected the tube from a nail attack.
73345-1243a55de824520fcf26c506b38e346c.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Joking aside it is likely to be sabotage by a walker as there are a lot of ignorant cyclists who tear down there expecting everybody to get out of their way.

It could backfire though, a nail will penetrate a walking boot sole with some ease if trodden on at the right/wrong angle.

Top Bottom