Schwalbe Marathon Plus Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Hi all,
I have this bike Scott Sportster P55 and it has 700 x 37c tyres on it (but also has 37-622 wrote on). These are starting to develop some large holes so I thought Id bite the bullet and go for these Schwalbe's - however Wiggle suggests they come in 700 x 35mm or 700 x 38mm.

Can someone confirm for me that the 700 x 35's are the size I need?

Thanks,
Mike

GrasB

Veteran
Either size will do, 700x35will probably be marginally easier to move but we're talking negligible differences in reality.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
700x35 in the M+ is 622-37 and 700x38 is 622-40, Schwalbe give an explanation for this on their website. They reckon that, as the tyres are run on narrower rims, they end up being narrower themselves due to the constriction.

I run the 700x35, 622-37, M+'s and they're fine, they do come up fairly large compared to some makes due to the puncture protection layer.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Thanks for the replies ;)

GrasB said:
Either size will do, 700x35will probably be marginally easier to move but we're talking negligible differences in reality.

Im pretty new to this, by "move" do you mean they will have less rolling resistance due to being thinner (Im assuming a lower second number, say 35 vs 38, means a thinner tyre)?

MacB said:
I run the 700x35, 622-37, M+'s and they're fine, they do come up fairly large compared to some makes due to the puncture protection layer.

Thanks, I reckon there should still be enough clearance between the part joining the two stanchions of the fork (again, sorry for poor technical knowledge :blush:).

Just going through the checkout now :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd go for the 35s (that are really 37s). Good luck fitting them, if you haven't successfullly fitted them we'll send out a search party for you ;).

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

marinyork said:
I'd go for the 35s (that are really 37s). Good luck fitting them, if you haven't successfullly fitted them we'll send out a search party for you ;).

Thanks, placed the order so hopefully Ill be able to spend the weekend trying to fit them :blush:

Would soapy water help to lubricate the area - or applying low heat from a hairdryer to slightly soften the rubber?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Having lived and learned, and ruined a couple of tubes, I'd fit them minus tubes first, just to see. Only takes a minute and will give you a clear idea of how you'll need to proceed.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mike.pembo said:
Thanks, placed the order so hopefully Ill be able to spend the weekend trying to fit them ;)

Would soapy water help to lubricate the area - or applying low heat from a hairdryer to slightly soften the rubber?

I can't remember what anybody else said it'll be around here somewhere, I think someone recommended putting them in the oven at a low temperature to soften them up a bit or massage/trampling them.

My personal theory on the M+s is that the problems fitting them is more on the higher end of the tyre to rim ratio if you get my meaning.

They and the normal marathons do get better, I managed to fit one in 15 minutes recently, unfortunately I put the wrong tube on it :blush:.

sayek1

Marathon+

I've recently realised I fitted the front M+ the wrong way round ie. the arrow pointing in the direction of the wheel rotation is going backwards.

To date I can't be bothered fighting the tyre to change it round. However, I guess there must be a sound reason for the rotational guide so at some point I'll have to write off another hour of my life..........

sayek1 said:
I've recently realised I fitted the front M+ the wrong way round ie. the arrow pointing in the direction of the wheel rotation is going backwards.

To date I can't be bothered fighting the tyre to change it round. However, I guess there must be a sound reason for the rotational guide so at some point I'll have to write off another hour of my life..........

May help you stop better in wet.

If it is just the front tyre and you run on rim brakes, you could just flip the wheel.

Wouldn't worry about it too much...

sayek1

Thanks guys. I've got disc brakes so I'll have to swap it. If its going to make a difference in the wet then I'll sacrifice half an hour at the weekend.

its always good to know why these things are there, so thanks for the info - learnt something new again today.

shippers

I have the marathon+'s on my road bike and they go on with very little trouble. I've done one by the road side in about 3 minutes. But I've had a LOT of practice recently!

Top Bottom