schwalbe marathon plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,can anyone tell me how good these tyres are,looking at getting some for the winter commute,should i go for as wide as i can ie 35mm or as the current tyres are 28mm?Thanks M

U

User6179

They last forever, best puncture protection you can get, not great grip and ride like you have wood wrapped around your rims.

Good choice for commute if you are not wanting to hammer it.

They're excellent. They have a very high level of puncture protection, but this does come at the expense of rolling resistance. You might find that a model lower in the range gives you all the protection you need but with a bit less drag. I rode a Schwalbe Big Apple into the ground over the course of five years and had not a single puncture. Tyre section choice is a personal matter. A trade off of speed versus comfort. I just traded a pair of 28c tyres for 35c and I'm loving the extra comfort and surefootedness of the bigger footprint. It's not as fast but speed is not high on my list of priorities.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I don’t like them. As said upthread, I prefer the Greenguard Marathons purely because there is life to your ride. And in nearly 4000km I may have had 3 punctures at the most.

I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. (Well maybe not in the rain and dark) I would choose the occasional fix over a dead ride any day.

simon.r

Person
I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. (Well maybe not in the rain and dark) I would choose the occasional fix over a dead ride any day.

It does depend on what bike you ride. Hub gears / chaincases / loaded with shopping can make getting wheels in and out significantly more difficult. I know you don’t *need* to remove the wheel to fix a puncture, but it can be very awkward if you don’t.

Wouldn't use any other brand of tyre for all round year commuting.
I managed to get my money's worth out of this Schwalbe Marathon tyre without puncturing after many, many miles.
35ake40.jpg

I’ve previously posted my impressions of Marathon Plus tyres which just about answers all of the questions raised in the OP:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-thoughts-on-commuting-with-marathon-plus-tyres.228061/

Graham

vickster

Legendary Member
I found them heavy, sluggish, slow and slippery in the wet. And expensive (fitted by LBS, no way I’d be able to do with my inflamed hands). Wouldn’t buy again

Gt Tours might be a good compromise; shop manager has them on his Salsa Vaya commuter and really likes them,more grip and feedback than the pluses.

Top Bottom