schwalbe marathon plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I followed The Man's instructions and eventually got them on the rims but it took over a dozen zip-ties and there was blood oozing out from under both thumbnails. Some time later, I managed to knacker a valve stem and had to replace a tube. Putting a used Marathon Plus on by the roadside was as easy as pie. They soften up with use.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I followed The Man's instructions and eventually got them on the rims but it took over a dozen zip-ties and there was blood oozing out from under both thumbnails. Some time later, I managed to knacker a valve stem and had to replace a tube. Putting a used Marathon Plus on by the roadside was as easy as pie. They soften up with use.

Extreme enthusiasm. Top marks for self flagellation. Leave in the sun, by a radiator or use a hair dryer. I listened to a podcast where the mechanics used heat guns CAREFULLY. I haven’t tried that yet.

Touring in Alaska may void any of the above suggestions.

Alan O

Über Member
I don’t like them. As said upthread, I prefer the Greenguard Marathons purely because there is life to your ride. And in nearly 4000km I may have had 3 punctures at the most.

I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. (Well maybe not in the rain and dark) I would choose the occasional fix over a dead ride any day.
That's interesting. I have two pairs of wheels for my tourer, one pair with Marathon Greenguards and one pair with Gatorskins (both 32mm). I have the Gatorskins on now for the summer, and compared to them the Greenguards feel dead - but the Greenguards are very hard-wearing and good on softer surfaces.

If Marathon Plus are deader than Greenguards, I don't think I'd like them too much.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
That's interesting. I have two pairs of wheels for my tourer, one pair with Marathon Greenguards and one pair with Gatorskins (both 32mm). I have the Gatorskins on now for the summer, and compared to them the Greenguards feel dead - but the Greenguards are very hard-wearing and good on softer surfaces.

If Marathon Plus are deader than Greenguards, I don't think I'd like them too much.

A good point I should have been clearer on. My greenguards are on my tourer. Livelier than Marathon+ but compared to Gatoskins or the Durano tyres on my Audax bike they are dead I agree. But they are very different tyres for a very different purpose.

Even my Durano tyres are the raceguard rather than the Durano+ simply because I prefer a livelier ride and don’t mind fixing punctures. I have had one puncture in about 3500km on my Duranos. And that was AFTER I had finished my Audax.

Alan O

Über Member
A good point I should have been clearer on. My greenguards are on my tourer. Livelier than Marathon+ but compared to Gatoskins or the Durano tyres on my Audax bike they are dead I agree. But they are very different tyres for a very different purpose.

Even my Durano tyres are the raceguard rather than the Durano+ simply because I prefer a livelier ride and don’t mind fixing punctures. I have had one puncture in about 3500km on my Duranos. And that was AFTER I had finished my Audax.
Yes, I'm not too worried about punctures - even my sportiest tyres, GP 4000s, are more puncture resistant than tyres used to be in the old days. I expect I'd feel different if I commuted throughout the year, but cycling only for pleasure these days, a comfortable and livelier ride is more important.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are quite a few models of Schwalbe tyres that have a decent level of puncture protection. I did consider M/M+ for my hybrid but decided against it as I really don't want tyres that are very heavy and dead feeling. I settled for Delta Cruiser+ in the end, in 35mm width. They are Level 5 protected on Schwalbe's own scale. (IIRC, M are level 6 and M+ Level 7). I find them nice to ride on, seem to cope OK with all the rubbish on the roads/cycle paths, and are good value for money if bought from places like Chain Reaction.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Instead of the M Plus, for commuting get the M Original Greenguard.
No punctures, cheaper, a bit more supple.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi,can anyone tell me how good these tyres are,looking at getting some for the winter commute,should i go for as wide as i can ie 35mm or as the current tyres are 28mm?Thanks M

I switched to Marathons in 2012 after years of running Continental Gatorskins with which I had no punctures in seven years.

I had three punctures in ten days on the Marathons. Ditched them and went back to Gatorskns. Personally I wouldn’t go near a Schwalbe tyre.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Gatorskins for me but I had two new ones back in August and had a couple of punctures in the first week and none since! ...... well that was until I posted that fact :laugh: .
I honestly think a lot of its down to luck :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My bike mileage is split roughly equally between my Pioneer on Schwalbes and my ratty old MTB which is fitted with a pair of crappy old far-east made 2" wide knobblys, the front one of which is getting pretty worn out. I keep threatening to replace the front with one of my other equally crappy but less worn spare knobbly tyres when I get a visit from The Fairy, but so far she has stayed away. Considering the dreadful surfaces I ride on, I'm surprised I have got away with it for so long.

Lonestar

Veteran
Gatorskins for me but I had two new ones back in August and had a couple of punctures in the first week and none since! ...... well that was until I posted that fact :laugh: .
I honestly think a lot of its down to luck :okay:

I used to use Gatorskins but then they seem to become less reliable so started using Shwalabe the difference being I check my tyres for glass after four commutes....Much more reliable....Last time I was surprised what I picked out from the front tyre....I use my Magicshine front light to inspect the tyres.Front tyre needs replacing rear trye is fine.

I recall when I first bought my marathon plus's my friends stood round waiting for me not to succeed in fitting them without a struggle, much to my surprise and others they slipped on no problem. A few months later a shrad of flint pentrated the tyre and caused a punture, changing the inner tube took forever, as I just could not get the rim to stay in the well. but as a working tyre, they dont seem to wear, after approx 4000miles the front tyre still is showing the sprew mark on the tyre, and the rear is showing little wear. As a touring tyre I find them great, however for someone who might want to speed along at great speed, forget it as they are a little on the sluggist side not reall a problem for a loaded touring bike. I use them on and off road and find they cope well on muddy tracks very well.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. (Well maybe not in the rain and dark) I would choose the occasional fix over a dead ride any day.

I have difficulty with my hands and having had pain in them for a couple of days after fixing a tube, I tend to go with something with a bit of P resistance now.
I don't mind fixing or replacing a tube but I either need P resistant tyres or tyres that are easy to get on and off. Currently choosing resistance :smile:

Oh, Marathon + on the CX, Gators on the Roadies.

Top Bottom