schwalbe marathon plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I've an Edinburgh Bike cyclocross bike I use for a very short commute, and some laden work miles. It has 35 mm marathons, not pluses. I've a Topeak trunk bag I carry laptop, clothes, papers, tube, patches, pump, tyre levers etc in. I've never had a puncture on it and unfortunately have become a bit blase. Occasionally when working away from home I take it with me. I'll do 20 miles or so in the evening or early morning before my hotel breakfast and its often only after getting back to my hotel that I realise I've been out without bag, tubes, etc. Some day I'm going to regret it, but to date I've got off with it.

I'm also surprised how little difference it makes speedwise. Heavy bike, probably about 15 kilos with rack, lights etc, flat pedals and these very dull feeling tyres. It feels really good going home to my best bike, carbon fibre grand prix tyres, around 8 kilos. Given variations in climb, wind, leg condition it is difficult to tell what difference it makes, but average speeds are closer than I have any right to expect.

hoopdriver

Guru
There is an awful lot of nonsense and hyperbole written about how Marathons and Marathon Plusses are like tank treads, weigh a tonne, slow you down to a crawl etc. I have never found any of that to be true. I have been running my bikes on Marathon Plusses for years now. On tours I have ridden as much as 150 miles in a day on them so I can't have been going that slowly. Nor have I found the handling to interfere in any way with my enjoyment of being out on my bike. Whatever slight difference in average speed there might be is more than compensated for by the lack of punctures. Depending on where you live (or tour) and the state of your roads, if you calculate the time lost to punctures one might well conclude that Marathon Plusses are a pretty damn quick tyre.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There is an awful lot of nonsense and hyperbole written about how Marathons and Marathon Plusses are like tank treads, weigh a tonne, slow you down to a crawl etc. I have never found any of that to be true. .

I can't comment on M+ as I've never owned them, but I've got 700c wheels fitted with both Delta Cruiser+ and original Marathon Greenguard, which have the same Level 5 puncture resistance and I can't detect any difference in rolling resistance. If there is any, then it's literally a couple of watts, and in the real world no cyclist can detect that small a difference. You would only be able to determine that under controlled testing conditions such as that done by bicyclerollingresistance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5410479, member: 9609"]
I take it that blue stuff is the layer of protection ?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, there are cutaways on Schwalbe's site. Blue on the plus, green on the Greenguard. Used to be yellow in regular Marathons.

Alan O

Über Member
I just want to add an observation about my Marathon Greenguard tyres after a ride yesterday afternoon.

I ride a lot on cycle paths and canal towpaths, and there's often a lot of broken glass (mainly tiny fragments from old broken bottles scattered over wide areas).

And while I was sat by the towpath having some refreshment, I decided I'd closely inspect my tyres (for no real reason other than the sunlight was perfect for it). I was surprised by the number of small glass cuts I found in the tread. I can't help wondering how many punctures I'd have had over the ~800 miles I've so far ridden on them had I had lesser tyres.

GuyBoden

Guru
I just want to add an observation about my Marathon Greenguard tyres after a ride yesterday afternoon.

I ride a lot on cycle paths and canal towpaths, and there's often a lot of broken glass (mainly tiny fragments from old broken bottles scattered over wide areas).

And while I was sat by the towpath having some refreshment, I decided I'd closely inspect my tyres (for no real reason other than the sunlight was perfect for it). I was surprised by the number of small glass cuts I found in the tread. I can't help wondering how many punctures I'd have had over the ~800 miles I've so far ridden on them had I had lesser tyres.

My unscientific experience:
Marathon Green guard = 2 punctures
Marathon+ Blue guard = No punctures

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5412625, member: 9609"]out of curiosity, your name 'skip driver john' does this refer to driving an old banger that resembles a skip like I do, or does it refer to the wagon with the clanging chains ?[/QUOTE]

I have got an old banger I keep for dirty tasks, but the name primarily refers to the fact I will skip salvage useful stuff that I come across FOC - like old ratty bikes.

Top Bottom