schwalbe marathon plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I did notice that mate ...... why is nothing simple ...... ^_^

Truth

Thanks for all of the opinions folks. I am going to stick with the tyres that are on for a few weeks , when I pick it up ,and look to buy and have tyres fitted when it goes in for the 6 week checkover.
I will have a good think about it in between..... :smile:
Cheers again :okay:

Truth

You've reminded me of my tyre dilemna now :laugh:
Think I am going with the standard Marathons although I did start looking at the Durano's a couple of weeks ago....
Loving my new bike by the way and I like the tyres too but its just that puncture protection playing on my mind...

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Did a tyre change this time last year. Was using Vittoria Randonneurs and replaced with Marathon Originals. Decided not to go for Marathon Plus due to reports of higher resistance and weight. Even the Original Marathons were noticably worse than the Randonneurs - ie grip on drain covers and a slower tyre. After 12 miles I removed them and bought some new Randonneurs which were cheap at the time at CRC

vickster

Legendary Member
You've reminded me of my tyre dilemna now :laugh:
Think I am going with the standard Marathons although I did start looking at the Durano's a couple of weeks ago....
Loving my new bike by the way and I like the tyres too but its just that puncture protection playing on my mind...
Have you been plagued by punctures then?

GuyBoden

Guru
Did a tyre change this time last year. Was using Vittoria Randonneurs and replaced with Marathon Originals. Decided not to go for Marathon Plus due to reports of higher resistance and weight. Even the Original Marathons were noticably worse than the Randonneurs - ie grip on drain covers and a slower tyre. After 12 miles I removed them and bought some new Randonneurs which were cheap at the time at CRC

I have Vittoria Randonneur on the front and Marathon+ on the rear on my winter bike.
The Vittoria Randonneur wears a lot quicker than the Marathon+.

I have Vittoria Randonneur front/rear on my summer bike, I like them a lot for their great puncture resistance, especially on the top of the tread, but the sidewalls are thinner than the sidewalls of the Marathon+.

Haven't managed to read the entire thread.

I fitted a Marathon on the back of my expedition bike after two or three punctures with its supplied Schwalbe Marathon Cross Raceguard tyres.

Original still on the front.

Yes the bike maybe feels a bit more draggy but after all it has 1.75inch tyres on 26 inch wheels so never going to be a speed machine, is often very heavily loaded and I don't fancy fixing a puncture by the side of a dark canal. More important to me that I keep on rolling. Recently did a 140 mile ride through the night and into the day on that bike - a fair bit on mild off road. So pleased I decided to use that bike with those tyres. I got on the bike feeling that I could take on pretty much anything. And ended it the same way.

Seems to be wearing well, in fact little visible wear.

Am very pleased.

I think I would recommend for any heavy duty touring in dodgy weather.

Be aware that raceguard is old style nylon fabric, which stops many things but isn't as effective as the dense rubbery stuff in Marathons. Take your pick.
Thanks. Maybe explains the curious punctures on my Ridgeback Expedition's original tyres.

Top Bottom