schwalbe marathon plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have difficulty with my hands and having had pain in them for a couple of days after fixing a tube, I tend to go with something with a bit of P resistance now.
I don't mind fixing or replacing a tube but I either need P resistant tyres or tyres that are easy to get on and off. Currently choosing resistance :smile:

Oh, Marathon + on the CX, Gators on the Roadies.

Yes. I’m sorry. I take for granted I have gardening hands and I forget that physical aspects of a puncture can be an issue for some and may well become difficult for me in years to come. Although I was (in my own head) thinking of the patch or change the inner tube practicalities, you have my apologies. Sorry.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. .
Its the inconvenience and journey time reliability factor. There's a big difference between casual pleasure riding within a couple of miles radius from home, with no time pressure whatsoever, and a journey made with a specific purpose. If I make an arrangement to be at a certain place at a certain time I can plan my departure time based on how fast my average speed is likely to be, and allow a few minutes extra to factor in things like being unlucky with delays at road junctions or having the wind blowing in the wrong direction. However, getting a puncture throws a spanner in the works, and might turn a planned 45 minute journey into an hour or more.
If you are mainly touring and don't have a schedule to keep to, you may not care about the odd puncture, but when I set out somewhere specific I want the best possible chance of my journey not being disrupted by an unplanned event, and no amount of diligent attention to bike maintenance will prevent puncture delays if you ride on unprotected tyres. The only way is to use tyres that do not puncture easily.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
QUOTE="Heltor Chasca, post: 5255429, member: 49337"]I don’t get what the deal is with punctures. They are so easy and quick to fix anywhere in the world. .

Its the inconvenience and journey time reliability factor. There's a big difference between casual pleasure riding within a couple of miles radius from home, with no time pressure whatsoever, and a journey made with a specific purpose. If I make an arrangement to be at a certain place at a certain time I can plan my departure time based on how fast my average speed is likely to be, and allow a few minutes extra to factor in things like being unlucky with delays at road junctions or having the wind blowing in the wrong direction. However, getting a puncture throws a spanner in the works, and might turn a planned 45 minute journey into an hour or more.
If you are mainly touring and don't have a schedule to keep to, you may not care about the odd puncture, but when I set out somewhere specific I want the best possible chance of my journey not being disrupted by an unplanned event, and no amount of diligent attention to bike maintenance will prevent puncture delays if you ride on unprotected tyres. The only way is to use tyres that do not puncture easily.[/QUOTE]

———————————

Housekeeping point: Most of my rides are around the 200km mark. Audax rides with a maximum time allowance. So some pressure. Not a lot. I still don’t mind the odd fix over a dead ride.

The other rides are school run stuff and my 8 year old can do it for me ;)

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Weigh the equivalent of a baby elephant, and are even heavier than a 650b 2.3inch Ice Spiker Pro MTB tyre with 350 metal spikes.

Heavy, but bomb proof.

I have the Kenda Klondike ice tyres. Like riding through treacle, but you stay upright.

Also look at Durano Plus if you want more road tyre

The next notch down (Durano Raceguard) are my favourite at the moment. All season and they don’t wear on my turbo. (Or wear the turbo)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have the Kenda Klondike ice tyres. Like riding through treacle, but you stay upright.

The next notch down (Durano Raceguard) are my favourite at the moment. All season and they don’t wear on my turbo. (Or wear the turbo)

Ran durano plus after the shared path I used on a small part of my commute used to destroy my usual tyres (glass).

The ice spikers are incredibly noisy compared to lesser spiked snow studs

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ran durano plus after the shared path I used on a small part of my commute used to destroy my usual tyres (glass).

The ice spikers are incredibly noisy compared to lesser spiked snow studs

Agree shared paths are a pain. There are two sections I use (Bristol and Frome) where I have to carry the bike there is so much glass.

My ice tyres give me a fizzy butt from the road buzz. Marmite sensation.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
[QUOTE 5258478, member: 259"]Lovely tyres but not fantastic at puncture protection and they wear out quite quickly. "Gatorskins" is pushing it a bit TBH.[/QUOTE]
Must admit milege wise I don't get a lot compared to what others do on here. People getting 6000 miles plus out of a set are WAY above what I get :sad:

OP
OP
martintoomany bikes
I switched to Marathons in 2012 after years of running Continental Gatorskins with which I had no punctures in seven years.

I had three punctures in ten days on the Marathons. Ditched them and went back to Gatorskns. Personally I wouldn’t go near a Schwalbe tyre.
oh dear!!thanks for that,i might think twice then..

Alan O

Über Member
oh dear!!thanks for that,i might think twice then..
Not meaning any offense to anyone, but you should not base your judgment on one person's experience. The way statistical variation works, you'll always get someone who has had punctures from good tyres and someone who has not had punctures from bad tyres. Three punctures in 10 days? I'd suspect something stuck inside the tyre that wasn't cleared out after the first puncture.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Three punctures in 10 days? I'd suspect something stuck inside the tyre that wasn't cleared out after the first puncture.

So would I, or the underlying cause was some other issue such as a degraded rim tape or the tube wasn't refitted too carefully because the puncture was done in a hurry/in unclean conditions where abrasive grit could get inside the tyre. I'm a bit anal when it comes to fitting tubes - I check down both sides of the rim/bead area all the way round using a bright torch to ensure no tube pinches and I push the valve stem upwards into the tyre a bit so the stem flange can't get trapped under the bead during inflation. The knurled valve stem lockring only gets tightened up after the tyre is fully inflated. I've never had a tube explode or got a pinch flat so far.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So would I, or the underlying cause was some other issue such as a degraded rim tape or the tube wasn't refitted too carefully because the puncture was done in a hurry/in unclean conditions where abrasive grit could get inside the tyre. I'm a bit anal when it comes to fitting tubes - I check down both sides of the rim/bead area all the way round using a bright torch to ensure no tube pinches and I push the valve stem upwards into the tyre a bit so the stem flange can't get trapped under the bead during inflation. The knurled valve stem lockring only gets tightened up after the tyre is fully inflated. I've never had a tube explode or got a pinch flat so far.

So do I though I don’t use a torch. It’s around six years ago so I can’t recall the cause but the second and third wouldn’t be due to sloppy changing.

Equally I agree one person’s poor experience shouldn’t be taken as the over riding opinion. Fact is though I rarely get punctures on Gatorskins. Why I don’t know.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Many years ago (1984 IIRC) I was suffering a recurring puncture, but it took 100 miles or more to repeat itself. Having failed a number of times to locate the cause, I adopted the much-ridiculed practice of aligning the maker's name with the valve. I doubt that without this I would ever have found the culprit - a small piece of plastic which was resistant enough eventually to wear a hole through the inner tube.

So I wouldn't say a recurring puncture is necessarily carelessness, but it's unlikely to be the entirely the fault of the tyre.

Attempting to get back on topic, I use standard Marathon Greenguards. Any advantage the Plusses may have in p.p. seems to be marginal, and probably irrelevant to the type of cycling I do; the Greenguards seem to have clear benefits in ease of handling, suppleness, weight, and of course price.

Top Bottom