schwalbe marathon - WTF happened???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
you may or may not remember a little while back I was asking opinion about the Schwalbe Land Cruiser mtb tyre and ended up buying two.

probably done less than 200 miles and last week the front tyre got popped off the rim by the inner tube!!?! :blush:

I tried to refit it but is seems that the diameter of the tyre at the bead is much bigger than the rim so it was impossible to fit the tyre. It happened in a shopping area about 50 m from halfrauds so I bought a tryre to get me home. Couldn't get back to work as it was hard work pushing the bike.

anyways, anyone come across something like this?:biggrin:

I've not looked at the tyre but am guessing that the steel wire inside the bead has snapped and tyre has stretched.

To say I am pissed off is an understatement - these were more expensive than my usual tyres and reason for buying them was so that I can get through winter without punctures, ggrrr!!!! :blush::thumbsdown:

I will be writing to Mr Schwalbe. :laugh:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
my guess is that it wasn't seated properly, and the pressure blew it off the rim. i'll bet that if you fit it again and check that it's on concentrically, you'll have no more bother

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
my guess is that it wasn't seated properly, and the pressure blew it off the rim. i'll bet that if you fit it again and check that it's on concentrically, you'll have no more bother

How much are you willing to bet?

You are welcome to visit to show me how to do this.:smile:

I'd be extremely suprised if you can seat a tyre with a bead diameter that is larger than the rim (so I reckon you will lose your money:tongue:)

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
well, if the amount of money is sufficient to buy house near you, then I'd do it.... then takethe money off you.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They are a nightmare to fit. Can't remember what the most popular tip is, was it stomping and massaging them a lot or warming them up in the oven?

Tynan

Veteran
200 miles is very good if the tyre is bigger than the rim

Gary D

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
interesting - it is not a tyre/rim compatibility issue since both beads were tight when I fitted them - the rear is holding up but it makes me wonder for how long?? :smile:

the other bead on the same tyre is perfectly fine.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Tynan said:
200 miles is very good if the tyre is bigger than the rim

i've thought about that, and you're quite right. if 0274 can get a tyre of the wrong size to fit a rim and sucessfully ride it for 200 miles, then he's better at tyre fitting than me, and i should shut-up:biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
I had the bead go in a Continental tyre (27 x 1 1/4) a few years ago. It had done a bit more than yours - about 350 miles. like yours it was one of a pair. I'd bought them from a lbs.

Took the tyre back. the shop said they hadn't had anything similar on a similar tyre, but they just changed both tyres while I waited, no charge, for some Michelin ones they had in.

Worth asking the supplier to refund or change the tyre on the basis of it not being fit for purpose. It does help if you're a regular customer!

Edit: I'm about to fit some 700x32 New Marathons, once the worst of the potholes are sorted, so hope your problem isn't a common one!

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
Davidc said:
Edit: I'm about to fit some 700x32 New Marathons, once the worst of the potholes are sorted, so hope your problem isn't a common one!

probably not since mine were Land Cruiser's - changed post but unable to change the title.

e-mailed Schwalbe as well as seller.

on Schwalbe website they have a recall for some other tyre so manufacturing fault is not an impossibility.

Davidc

Guru
My experience with bike parts has always been that manufacturers and retailers do acept that sometimes their QC fails, and they're pretty good about refunding or exchanging.

Top Bottom