Sciatic nerve problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Never had any probs before but I've just started to up the frequency and distance of my rides. Now I've got some pain starting from top of left hip going downwards.

Sciatica ?

Is staying off the bike the only solution?:biggrin:

Ta.

mr Mag00

rising member
check to saddle settings and do some stretching the most relieving stretch i fine is lie on your back and relax then these

jimboalee

Yup, they are the text book stretches for Glutes and hips.

But try this...

Grab yourself a hand towel. Twist it up to make a rope.
Sit on your bed and loop the towel round one foot. With both hands, pull the towel, keep the leg straight and get your head as close to your belly as possible.
You will feel the stretch all the way down the back of your leg and through the facias in the sole of your foot.
If you feel anything in your lumbar region or even up to your thoracic region, you needed the stretch.
Repeat with other leg.

The nerve you are stretching is from the Brain stem to your big toe, spreading into two at your pelvic girdle.
Stretching each muscle individually DOES NOT stretch the nerve along all its distance.

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Thanks for this. Tried this and it seems to work. Pain really flares up on the pull but seems to recede more after each stretch. I'll do some stretches each day and see how it goes.

Top Bottom