Sciatica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Pretty sure I have Sciatica. Not been to the doctors yet but had back pain for 3 weeks now (lower back, groin and top of left leg).

Anyone experienced this and know what the best ways to get rid are? I'm currently just taking ibuprofen and it's receiving the pain a little.

Thanks!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Doctors ASAP

Drago

Legendary Member
Doctors, ASAP. Then a good physio. I suffered a nasty attack about 10 years ago, and over the course of several sessions the physic was able to manipulate the nerve so it's now in a fractionally different position. Aside for the odd mild twinge it completely fixed it, though the sessions were gruelling.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sciatica tends to affect buttock and back of leg.
Plenty of other nerves that you could have impinged though.

Oh you're not wrong. It was my butlers day off and I bent over to empty the dishwasher, and it was like i'd been stabbed in the left buttock. No warnings. Never known pain like it.

Drago

Legendary Member
You are Max Mosley and I CMFP!

dbeattie

Über Member
Only when i pay the lady of the night to tell me to act like that :whistle:
It works. But there's the weirdness of it that puts some folk off. A colleague came in to work recently doubled up with a sore back. He said he was going to get a doctor's appointment. I said try crawling and explained it all to him. Next day he strode in pain-free and said he crawled and it was fine after that.
Some folk won't try it because they think it's too weird.

RedRider

Pulling through
Pretty sure I have Sciatica. Not been to the doctors yet but had back pain for 3 weeks now (lower back, groin and top of left leg).

Anyone experienced this and know what the best ways to get rid are? I'm currently just taking ibuprofen and it's receiving the pain a little.

Thanks!
I found ibuprofen didn't really touch the sides of sciatica pain. I was referred to an nhs physio who referred me to an nhs 'back class'. This was essentially a gym circuit concentrating on strengthening and stretching the muscles around the back which support the spine. So cat stretches, standing on one leg with your eyes closed, planks, press ups and more. I found the cat stretch and one where you draw and hold your knees up to your chest and gently rock on your back most effective.
After ten weeks I joined a Pilates class and learned more stretching and strengthening moves. That might be four years ago maybe and touch wood haven't had a recurrence.
My sciatica went through my right buttock and all the way down my leg. At its worse I also lost sensation on the skin on the back of my calf. I also experienced a dull achein my groin.
I carried on cycling by the way. If I was able to actually get on the bike it was easier to ride than to walk places. Still a bit difficult tho, the strength in my right leg was much reduced.
First step for you should be to get it diagnosed by someone who really knows what there talking about. If sciatica then prescribed exercise its probs the way to go.

vickster

Legendary Member
See a medic if it's no better after 3 weeks with proper rest. Don't try to tough it out where there's a potential risk to nerves (if it is sciatica, agreed on the pain in buttock and back of leg, had it 20+ years ago thanks to a slipped disc, I needed surgery as there was a risk of paralysis!)

Top Bottom