Sciatica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
Sounds good, so more muscular than nerve?

Did she suggest physio? Do some back stretching exercises too, as well as cycling

She didn't suggest anything really but the tablets for now and didn't say nerve or muscular. I have been sleeping in quite a few different beds over the last few weeks due to holidays so maybe she thought that was a mitigating factor and popped me on the tablets.

I'll give stretching a go as well, thanks for the advice.

I used to have a bad back (actually I probably still have but it is in remission) - back pain - sciatica - the full works on and off from since i was thirteen till I was forty - lots of visits to the doctors when it was chronic - only to be told i have a bad back - rest - take a few painkillers I was told - I took up weight training just before I was forty - nothing extreme - but all over workouts - not a problem any longer

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Is there a diagnosis? I've always found that stomach strengthening exercises (of whatever type) have solved any back pain issues I've had in the past. Not sure if that's any help.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
Thanks for the replies chaps - I think some kind of core / strengthening exercises are needed. I was planning on doing some this year to help on longer bike rides where I suffer mild back pain anyway. This has just made it a necessity. Think I need to get to the local gym.

I've always found that stomach strengthening exercises (of whatever type) have solved any back pain issues I've had in the past.

That the conclusion I came to - I didn't actually target my lower back or stomach muscles - in fact initially on the occasions i did it tended to set off the back pain - by working my whole body gradually those areas improved and I could then add abs and lower back to what i was doing

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies chaps - I think some kind of core / strengthening exercises are needed. I was planning on doing some this year to help on longer bike rides where I suffer mild back pain anyway. This has just made it a necessity. Think I need to get to the local gym.
No you don't - plenty of core exercises you can do at home, if you have floor space. Swiss ball a good investment

No you don't - plenty of core exercises you can do at home, if you have floor space. Swiss ball a good investment

Yup - Agree - but going to the gym I find gets it done - if like me you are hopless at doing the home thing - I should be doing my balance board exercises at the moment instead of wasting my time on here :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yup - Agree - but going to the gym I find gets it done - if like me you are hopless at doing the home thing - I should be doing my balance board exercises at the moment instead of wasting my time on here :smile:
Nothing to stop you multi tasking, balance board and Cyclechat

Oh, unless you're a bloke that is ;)

much more productive to do the washing up and the balance board at the same time :smile:

rualexander

Legendary Member
She didn't suggest anything really but the tablets for now and didn't say nerve or muscular..

Typical fairly useless GP response.
Naproxen gave me a really sore stomach when I was prescribed it for back pain (not sciatica) a couple of years ago, stopped taking it afte the first dose.
Go and see a physio, I find they are usually much more useful than GP for stuff like this.

Typical fairly useless GP response.

I did physios and osteopaths - the former didnt work and the latter was very uncomfortable and gave me only a very short term fix - the thing that I found was best was decent painkillers - Co-Dryomol at the least - having been carted off to A&E from the office in an Ambulance in extreme pain and unable to move - 10 minutes after taking a decent painkiller - I was up and mobile - once i had mobility it was only a short while before i could get pain free by some gentle exercise - prior to that i had taken fairly ordinary pain killers - following that as soon as i had any sort of episode at all - I went to the docs and got some decent tablets

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've had numerous episodes over the years; nothing too severe fortunately.

Once I was running on a treadmill and my back went into spasm; the doctor explained this as a momentary pressure on a nerve causing everything to lock up. He prescribed painkillers and valium to relax the muscles, which worked a treat.

A few years back I was suffering from dull aching in my R hip and thigh which made driving extremely miserable. I visited a consultant who didn't really help. Some weeks later I discovered a lump of knotted muscle in my lower back; just giving that a bit of vigorous manipulation a couple of times a day had it sorted in no time.

I've had a mild recurrence of that recently after doing a long ride on my 'sporty' (low front end) bike. Again, knotted muscle in a similar place which I dealt with in the same manner.

Obviously this won't be helpful in a lot of instances but it's just my experience.

Top Bottom