Sciatica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive had this. It usually happens during winter times when ts really cold and can almost completely stop me from the walking as its so painful. It occurs in my inner thighs near my groin. I have had some back pain along with it but mainly just stiffness. Best thing i did was stay warm and do more exercise while taking ibuprofen

Last edited:

dbeattie

Über Member
In an adult nappy? Whatever turns you on :ohmy:

Maybe try explaining the reasoning as you did to your colleague?
Hits the reset button.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
Thanks everyone - doctors Monday morning and I'll go from there. Not done any exercise for 4 weeks due to a wedding so maybe getting back on the bike might do the trick...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hits the reset button.
??

You said you'd explained said advice to your colleague and it helped. However, on here you gave advice but with no explanation as to what/why doing this helps. My post was to suggest that doing so might be useful for the OP

dbeattie

Über Member
??

You said you'd explained said advice to your colleague and it helped. However, on here you gave advice but with no explanation as to what/why doing this helps. My post was to suggest that doing so might be useful for the OP
How did you learn to walk?

vickster

Legendary Member
How did you learn to walk?
On two feet. It's a very long time ago, I don't remember, apparently I was about 9 months old

Still don't follow your point

I'm assuming you're a physio? Mine actually explains the reasons for exercises, perhaps you could try doing the same?

dbeattie

Über Member
On two feet. It's a very long time ago, I don't remember, apparently I was about 9 months old

Still don't follow your point

I'm assuming you're a physio? Mine actually explains the reasons for exercises, perhaps you could try doing the same?
I didn't learn to walk by doing nothing and then getting up on 2 feet. I did it the same as everyone else. I lay and kicked my legs and moved my arms. I looked around and reached for things. I learned to roll over. Then I crept. Next I managed to get up on my hands and knees, and I rocked. Then I crawled. I could never have walked without doing al those things.
Rolling, rocking and crawling laid down the movement patterns I used for walking. Pain disrupts normal movement patterns.
Go on try it. Even if you don't have pain.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't learn to walk by doing nothing and then getting up on 2 feet. I did it the same as everyone else. I lay and kicked my legs and moved my arms. I looked around and reached for things. I learned to roll over. Then I crept. Next I managed to get up on my hands and knees, and I rocked. Then I crawled. I could never have walked without doing al those things.
Rolling, rocking and crawling laid down the movement patterns I used for walking. Pain disrupts normal movement patterns.
Go on try it. Even if you don't have pain.
Unfortunately I can't actually kneel now due to knackered knees :sad:

But thank you

dbeattie

Über Member
Unfortunately I can't actually kneel now due to knackered knees :sad:

But thank you
Get cushions under the knees. Hands on the floor. Rock back and forward. Stop. Lift one hand off the floor. Put it back down. Lift the other one. Alternate. Notice how your core muscles react.
Give it a go.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have to avoid kneeling and I've got endless physio exercises to do already for foot, knee and shoulder, but thanks, I'm sure the OP could consider trying once he has a diagnosis

3 weeks is a long time without any improvement. If you not in absolute agony I would try some gentle stretching - maybe just start with basic hamstring stretches - or walking is good for sciatica.
If its nothing serious (IE you get the all clear from your GP) I would look at enrolling on a Pilates or yoga class

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
What did the Dr say?

She has given me Naproxen to take for 2-4 weeks to see if it corrects itself and if not they will need to look at it again. She did say I was free to do any exercise so I'll give the tablets a couple of days to hopefully relieve the pain and get back on the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds good, so more muscular than nerve?

Did she suggest physio? Do some back stretching exercises too, as well as cycling

Top Bottom