[Scotch Whisky Blather] In praise of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
.....................but every malt is different, you should not have been amazed that your friends did not appreciate your gift.. We would not buy a book for a booklover without some research into the type of book that would be appreciated:smile:.
No, when I said 'the stuff', I meant not the stuff I brought back but whisky, period. They don't like it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Glenmorangie - The Quinta Ruban

Inverted whisky snobbery made me hold off until now. But the price in the so-called duty free shop at Gatwick vs the price of cooking whisky in a Danish hotel bar vs the shame (& the eye-watering expense) of buying spirits in System Bolaget in sthlm won me over.

I've really been missing out. It really is as delicious as they say. (And goes great with a Daim bar)

Idiot.

Oh yes, the Quinta Ruben is a great Whisky. Not sure if you can even get it now. Another great Glenmorangie was their Cellar 13. So smooth.

Anyway, here is Elvis Mcgonagall with a poem about another of my favourites with a very different taste profile. Vive la difference.

pjd57

Veteran
I noticed Asda selling Aberfeldy 12 year old for £25.

Maybe not top of the range stuff but I've enjoyed an occasional drop of it on my visits to Aberfeldy.

Edit.....Asda website says it's £36 now.

Should have bought it.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I bought a litre bottle of some cheap stuff from Aldi today (about £15). I like whisky but I'm far from an expert on it. A good whisky would be wasted on me - I just like an occasional one and as long as its smooth I'll enjoy it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a half bottle of co-op whisky in the cupboard, used for cooking, I had a mouthful of it last week, it wasn’t horrible. That is the first time I have ever tasted whisky.

If one has a bottle of aged whisky, say 20 years when it was bought, then drink it 5 years later is it aged 25 years?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Caol Ila 12yrs is my favourite tipple with Ardbeg 10 yrs in a close second place. I've only tried 20 odd malts so in no way well informed but these two have just blown me away.

ETA
I won't buy non age statemented whiskys any more in solidarity with Ralfy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a half bottle of co-op whisky in the cupboard, used for cooking, I had a mouthful of it last week, it wasn’t horrible. That is the first time I have ever tasted whisky.

If one has a bottle of aged whisky, say 20 years when it was bought, then drink it 5 years later is it aged 25 years?

No. The age of a whisky is the time it has spent in the cask, maturing before it gets bottled.

subaqua

What’s the point
The Aberfeldy is nice. I finished that last bit I had in bottle last night.

Had several bottles on the go over Christmas .

From peaty Islay to mellow speysides . I have multiple favourites in each style

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was given a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength Red Label by a client about ten years ago. Apparently in the intervening years they have stopped making it and it has become a bit of a collectors item. Currently retailing at around £1.5K a bottle:eek:. I only found this out after drinking quarter of the bottle:banghead:. It is now brought out when we have good friends round for dinner makes a good talking point and is great to share it. It is actually a very pleasant Malt. Like expensive wines though I don't get the high value and certainly wouldn't buy it at it's current price.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I bought a litre bottle of some cheap stuff from Aldi today (about £15). I like whisky but I'm far from an expert on it. A good whisky would be wasted on me - I just like an occasional one and as long as its smooth I'll enjoy it.
We buy that as Mrs D prefers whisky with lemonade.....for a cheap whisky itis very good.

Top Bottom