Scotrail.. Kicked of the train for no reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
skrx said:
I wasn't running for the train -- I was standing on the platform waiting for it, but I can't predict exactly where the bike carriage will stop (front or back of train?).
I know where the bike carriage will stop at my local stations, but when boarding a train elsewhere I ask the station staff where I should stand before the train comes in. I have always found them helpful in this respect.
I discovered a wonderful system in Germany where you can work out where to stand from information on your travel ticket, maybe we will get there some day.:sad:

Greenbank

Über Member
snorri said:
I know where the bike carriage will stop at my local stations, but when boarding a train elsewhere I ask the station staff where I should stand before the train comes in. I have always found them helpful in this respect.

Doesn't always work though. I got the train back from the Elenith on Sunday and had to change at Birmingham New St.

I was told to go to the far end of the platform to wait for someone to open the doors for my bike. She was standing with me as the train pulled in.

However, due to someone trespassing on the tracks not far from the station many of the trains out of New St were cancelled and/or rerouted. My train came in the wrong way round (since it was now going to London via a different loop) and we (me and the woman from Virgin trains) had to run the length of the train to get the bike on the other end. Further delays meant that it didn't set off for another 10 minutes anyway.

I had another similar incident coming back from a DIY 300 up to Thorne. Train from Doncaster back to London was due in, I'd asked where to stand and was waiting patiently, but with only 2 minutes warning they changed platforms (luckily just to the other side) and the bike spaces were at the opposite end of the train. Thankfully they waited for us to get the bikes on.

skrx

I'm about to sound like I have an answer for everything...

- The station is unstaffed

- It's relatively busy, quite a few people get off. That makes running with the bike more difficult, although most people step to the side.

- I stood in the place the bike coach was for the next train, but that one turned out to be 4 coaches rather than 8, and the bike coach was at the opposite end anyway. ½ the trains do a loop (from Waterloo, destination: Waterloo), the others don't. I only go straight from work occasionally anyway.

- I'll get on anywhere if the train is mostly empty, but I feel I should be in the correct place if people are having to stand.
A month ago the same thing happened (same station, about the same time), except that time the guard actually shouted, "you need to go to the back with that!" before shutting the doors while I was running. It happening twice is why I complained.

I cycled home from Waterloo along the route that I would take from work to Waterloo, and it was nicer than I thought it would be (and work-home is OK). Next time I think I'll just cycle all the way, it should take about an hour (the train is ~45 minutes +5-10 wait. And £3.).

hackbike 666 said:
and as someone pointed out why wear a name tag if you don't want people to know your name.

I think it's in the rules for guards not personal choice.I have heard they can put made up names on their tags if they want to.I wear an I'D tag for security mainly which is not for the purpose of the passengers.The drink thingy is a bit cruel.I have heard that being used before.

Good luck with that hope you get it sorted.

a friend of mine works on the customer service desk of sainsburys and goes by a false name - management know if anyone complains about her by her false name who they are talking about but it makes her feel safer to go about her daily life.

Crankarm

Guru
Forcing customers to write in to complain is a std fobbing off tactic used by many customer service departments. At a large home furnishings company I worked for customers who called to complain could have their complaints resolved over the phone which I tried to do where ever possible, but many colleagues couldn't be bothered and told customers they had to write in knowing that most wouldn't bother.

Back to bikes on trains. If you are having difficulties with your bike on trains then get a Brompton no such worries ;).

Greenbank

Über Member
skrx said:
I cycled home from Waterloo along the route that I would take from work to Waterloo, and it was nicer than I thought it would be (and work-home is OK). Next time I think I'll just cycle all the way, it should take about an hour (the train is ~45 minutes +5-10 wait. And £3.).

Do it. I do Putney to Southbank and I'm much happier than I was paying £600 a year to SouthWorstTrains.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I'd not follow up on the complaint. I use Scotrail Sprinters regularly and I always hand the bike us as directed.

If you do decide to complain ask if the train has CCTV then use your rights under Data Protection Act to see footage. Just tell them date, time, etc to identify the train, but why bother?

skrx

Greenbank said:
Do it. I do Putney to Southbank and I'm much happier than I was paying £600 a year to SouthWorstTrains.

That's exactly the route I meant to take home, except I crossed Lambeth bridge and missed the turning to King's Road, so went round the fancy houses to Putney Bridge instead (in both cases because I was following NCR 4 signs rather than thinking about where I was going).

I cycle from Putney to Kew for work. I've cycled from work to the west end a few times, but not as far as the south bank (15km). On Wednesday I didn't want to be late, and as I haven't done Kew-Waterloo before I took the train -- I have a tendancy to get lost if I haven't cycled a route before. I cycled home from Waterloo so I could find the route, so next time I'll probably cycle both ways.

I'm considering getting a cheap (£100) folding bike, but at the moment I don't think I'd use it enough.

skrx

I had a much better experience with (mostly) Virgin trains this weekend.
I booked a reservation online for a return journey (with bike) from Euston to Stafford. The outward journey was fine -- the staff were polite, the driver joked with me while I was putting my bike in the space (behind his cab).

The return journey wasn't so good -- I got to Stafford station on Sunday, and went to the platforms, but there were yellow diggers everywhere. I showed someone my cycling (and seat) reservation for the 12:25 to Euston, and they got the manager. He apologised, and said they'd cancelled all the trains through Stafford for the weekend, but that one had been missed -- that explained why I'd had no problem booking a ticket on it. He had a word with the rail-replacement bus driver, who said so long as I lifted it in myself, it could go in the coach. Excellent. (Still annoying that they close the railway so much, but my journey was delayed only the same amount as people without bikes.)

skrx

Crankarm said:
Forcing customers to write in to complain is a std fobbing off tactic used by many customer service departments.

Having received a reply, I'm not sure it was worth writing in anyway:

Dear __

I am very sorry to learn that you had difficulty getting on a train at ___ with your bike recently. I appreciate that the train leaving must have been frustrating for you, however, it is the passengers responsibility to ensure they are on the train in time, and the Guard was correct to ensure the doors were closed and the train ready leave on time.

I note that you were stood at the end of the platform and would recommend that in future you may find it beneficial to stand nearer to the middle, this would give you the opportunity to identify the cycle carriage as the train came in and less distance to cover if it is not located where you are standing.

I am sorry for any frustration this matter has caused you and thank you for taking the time to contact South West Trains.

Kind Regards
[etc]

ferret fur

This reminds me of a letter received by someone who complained about being bitten by fleas on a sleeper service. They recieved a grovelling letter of apology which said that this was a terribly rare event, that sleeper beds were fumigated regularly, that the complaint was taken very seriously and that there would be a full internal inquiry into why an infested carriage had been used on this service etc etc.

The effect of this reply was slightly diluted by the inclusion in the envelope of the original complaint to which was attached a Post-It note which read "Just send 'em the standard flea bite letter"

]I note that you were stood at the end of the platform and would recommend that in future you may find it beneficial to stand nearer to the middle said:
Binary chop instructions are always welcome from condescending jobs worths at rail companies.

Top Bottom