Scotrail.. Kicked of the train for no reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
If the situation was really that threatening she should call/wait for the police. But I dont think they were required here.

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
It is quite hard to get someone's name when they purposely cover it with there jacket i did eventually get her name via the station duty manager it's not as if i was asking for her surname and address and as someone pointed out why wear a name tag if you don't want people to know your name.

If she feels threatened everytime she has a a conversation with a person of ordinary sensibilities then i would see a shrink if i was her.

There was nothing that i did that a normal sane person would construe as threatening or aggressive.

Ten years in the armed forces and 17 years as a door steward i know how to conduct myself as someone said she has saw me as questioning her authority and she did not like it, she knew what she was doing was wrong hence the hiding of her name and the not wanting me to speak with management further to this they have a clause where if they feel intimidated they can chuck people off the train which she quite conveniently used to cover what was going down.

To quote the station manager i said to him "So guards can misuse this intimidation thing to meet there own ends" and his reply was "That's Unions for you, what can we do".

If i had been violent, aggressive or anything like it i am without doubt the police would have been involved which obviously they where not and this speaks volumes.

Do i think she should be sacked no i don't do i think she should be disciplined yes i do, I've already had offer from friends to write in bogus letters someone even suggested that i say i could smell drink from her but that is not me and i would not act in such a way.

Complaint has now been sent, after a bit of searching i managed to find the email address for the MD of scotrail so i cc'd her as well.

and as someone pointed out why wear a name tag if you don't want people to know your name.

I think it's in the rules for guards not personal choice.I have heard they can put made up names on their tags if they want to.I wear an I'D tag for security mainly which is not for the purpose of the passengers.The drink thingy is a bit cruel.I have heard that being used before.

Good luck with that hope you get it sorted.

domd1979

Veteran
The nearest BTP officer would probably have been 50 miles away anyway were their involvement required, you'd have been there all night waiting.

rnscotch said:
If i had been violent, aggressive or anything like it i am without doubt the police would have been involved which obviously they where not and this speaks volumes.

Bongman said:
Even working in a customer facing role with a name tag?

How would you feel if an Asda (or other supermarket) member of staff refused to show you their name?

I also believe if the police arrived, they would find it quite acceptable to give the passenger the guards name, before he complied with her wishes and left the train.

However, rnscotch. If you are as big as you say, maybe you were un-intentionally intimidating?

I've been thinking about this one and what strikes me was a member of staff being rude to me in a hotel I was staying at and treating me like a thief when I almost skipped a £6 bill for breakfast of which I thought had been paid for and it hadn't.I was incensed,no way would I try a trick like that.Anyway I was so pissed of with this comedian that I was strongly tempted to complain about his attitude.At no time however was I tempted to ask his name.Believe me this really did ruin my holiday being branded as a thief when all it was was a simple mistake.

Also asking for someones name seems to be sort of attention seeking "look at me im going to tell on you".I think it would probably get this woman's back up I think possibly it may with me.

I've never had anyone ask my name in my job which is surprising as I must admit I have got a bit stroppy when a passenger has got a bit stroppy with me.

This is only my opinion so please don't take offence.Cheers.

Its a pity, because most guards I've come across are fine and take a very pragmatic approach to bike storage - I've even sneaked a tandem on once or twice and, as long as it's not completely blocked the passage, they've been cool with it.

Yes I must admit as a driver I have my bad days but I have never chucked a cyclist off but have normally turned a blind eye to the proceedings.

Cromcruaich

All depends on your outlook on life.

You can take every day as a struggle for truth, fairness and justice, but sometimes, on the little things, it pays to know when to keep your trap shut, also more than one way to skin a cat - thought as a doorman you'd be a better judge of character, deflecting people by engaging them as people and not as job functions will often get much better results - you should of told her she had lovely eyes.

sw3008

Guru
You have every right to ask for a name & she has every right to refuse.

As far as I'm aware, there is no legal obligation for any one to give their name out.

The other side of this is that would she have refused if you were going to write to say she was most helpful & understanding & that you wanted her bosses to know about it.

I'd chalk it to experience & let it go.

skrx

I've just sent off a complaint to South West Trains.

I decided during the day to go into central London after work. I was a bit tired, so I decided to take the train from near work to Waterloo -- it's about 40 minutes once on the train.

On the platform, I was near the front of the train. I didn't see the bike carriage (marked with a little yellow pictogram by the door buttons) so I ran down the length of the train -- past the guard -- to the other end. When I got to the other end, the doors started closing as I stopped in front of them, and didn't open when I pressed the button. I looked back and saw the guard, but he just turned away from me and the train moved off.

This is the second time this has happened -- and the previous time was the same station, and probably the same service. I found a phone number for SWT on one of their advertising posters, and called to make a complaint. I was told that my complaint was against a specific member of staff, so had to be made in writing. I asked if this was meant to put me off complaining, but the call centre script didn't have an answer to that. The telephone person did confirm that a time and departure station would be enough to identify the guard on the train.

gavintc

Guru
Give the guard a break. We either want Germanic punctuality where trains run to a schedule or the old laissez faire BR style where the timetable was a negotiable document. If we want punctuality, a train must leave to meet its schedule on a fixed time. if you miss the train - that is not the train guard's fault.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
bonj said:
so you weren't chucked off a train for NO reason, you were chucked off a train for a reason that you don't deem justifiable...;)
You seem to feel you have the right to contravene rules that it doesn't suit you to obey simply because YOU can't see any reason why it makes a difference.

I think there's no problem with putting your bike like that, and she was probably being a bit petty and having a bad day and picked on you 'cos she was feeling a little grumpy - but at the end of the day she was theoretically right, so you're in the wrong to think you can just challenge her. Some people get a buzz out of having power of people and telling them what to do, and if they're feeling a little disaffected then they have a go at telling someone what to do just to see if they can make them do it - you were the victim, but you should have seen that that's what she was doing and realized it was only going to wind her up more to refuse.

I hope the train stopped for you to get off though, she didn't just chuck you off while it was going did she?

The BS-meister strikes again! If you actually read the account properly, you'll see that he did exactly what he was asked (after having pointed out, as is surely his right, that it didn't seem to him to be necessary), and was then thrown off the train for asking her name, which he has every right to do.

She was bang out of order. She was rude to a member of the public for no justifiable reason, and she abused her position of authority. Complain.

skrx

gavintc said:
if you miss the train - that is not the train guard's fault.

There should be enough slack in the timetable to allow people to get on and off the train. What if someone had wanted to board the train in a wheelchair?

I wasn't running for the train -- I was standing on the platform waiting for it, but I can't predict exactly where the bike carriage will stop (front or back of train?).

Greenbank

Über Member
skrx said:
I wasn't running for the train -- I was standing on the platform waiting for it, but I can't predict exactly where the bike carriage will stop (front or back of train?).

I usually stand in the middle of the platform and look at the train as it goes past. If I see the bike section I walk towards the front of the train and jump on. If I don't see it then it's probably at the other end and I can walk towards the back of the train. If there's a chance I won't make it before the doors shut I'll just jump on and get off at the next stop to move further up the train until I've found it.

gavintc

Guru
skrx said:
There should be enough slack in the timetable to allow people to get on and off the train. What if someone had wanted to board the train in a wheelchair?

OK sorry. I had not picked that up in your earlier post. It does seem a little bit over-keen on the guards part.

Top Bottom