Scotrail.. Kicked of the train for no reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PashleyPrincess

gavintc said:
I am with bonj on this. I know it sound ridiculous, but a risk assessment will have been completed which will state that bikes should be secured when in transit. Securing points are provided and she as the train manager (and therefore responsible for train safety) is completely in her power to ask you to hang up your bike. Because you cannot see a good reason is not a good reason.

Doesn't give her the right to swear at him though. I think what's at stake here is not what she asked him to do but rather the manner in which she went about it.

snorri

Legendary Member
rnscotch said:
So i decided ok we have a jobs worth here wanting to throw her weight
When I look at your avatar I wonder a little.:wacko:

Mr Pig

These people are used to dealing with d***heads. You think about some of the yobs, drunks and general morons these people have to cope with. I wouldn't want to do it. So when you criticize them at all, even slightly, they go into 'dealing with trouble' mode. Then you're screwed.

What you have to do is be their pal. Be nice to them, joke with them, sympathies with them and you can get them to be more than reasonable. They'll help you.

A few years ago about eight of us were getting the train up to Edinburgh from Croy station. We all got on the train and fitted our bikes in as best we could. The conductor came along and told us that the train only had spaces for two bikes (I think it was) and we'd need to get off. We didn't argue, just started taking our bikes off the train. As we did so we politely explained that we were going on a ride and asked him for his advice on what we should do (This is good as it recognizes their authority and moves them into 'being helpful' mode). Before we'd all finished getting our bikes off the train he'd changed his mind and told us we could all get back on! :0)

People respond better to kindness than criticism. That's all there is to it.

lazyfatgit

Let it slide.

You commute by train, this has been a one-off. Maybe she was just having a bad day. Doesn't excuse her behaviour, but technically she was correct to ask you to hang it up.

for the sake of a couple of vouchers you'll certainly alienate her and will find yourself having to hang the bike everytime she's onboard. If she's popular with other staff they may even make life more awkward.

maybe she's just new and still spouting the rules. I've found most scotrail staff to be reasonable as long as you come and go. They do have to deal with a lot of crap from passengers.

perhaps you're 6ft 4 and she was 4ft 10 and she felt intimidated no matter how polite you were?

lazyfatgit,

Would you have let it go if you'd been chucked off the train at the last CC ride because some eegit (moi?) had go the last bike space before you? Eh?:evil::wacko:

lazyfatgit

magnatom said:
lazyfatgit,

Would you have let it go if you'd been chucked off the train at the last CC ride because some eegit (moi?) had go the last bike space before you? Eh?:evil:;)

with my wit and charm i feel you, as a confrontational, incident coreographing camera merchant, would have been disembarking:laugh:

And i don't need to commute on that train everyday.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The ONLY hassle I've ever had off a guard occurred when my usual train was reported 'Full and Standing - No cycles' on its approach, due to a cancelled preceding train. I wasn't worried , because this train empties at my stop as all the students for the 6th form college get off. Sure enough, the train pulls in and everyone gets off - there are about 10 people left spread between two carriages. Me and another cyclist now put our bikes into the designated and empty cycle spaces and go and choose a table seat from the 80-odd free spaces.
A few minutes later and the guard rolls up -

Guard - "Can't you read?"
Us - "Huh"
Guard - "The board said no cycles - full and standing"
Us - "But the train is empty?!"
Guard - "It said no cycles."
Us - "WTF!?"

I stayed polite but it was a struggle. A little chat with a few of the friendly station staff at Winchester the next day confirmed that the guard was a notorious c0ck.

Its a pity, because most guards I've come across are fine and take a very pragmatic approach to bike storage - I've even sneaked a tandem on once or twice and, as long as it's not completely blocked the passage, they've been cool with it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
lazyfatgit,

Would you have let it go if you'd been chucked off the train at the last CC ride because some eegit (moi?) had go the last bike space before you? Eh?:evil::biggrin:

Just scratch his bike next, it is far too shiny....;)

(To be honest I think a greater health and safety issue would be the driver leaving his cabin at all when the rest of us are on the train expecting that he's driving it - but there you are.)

What about a train fire which happened to me where I had to get out the cab pretty sharpish,the amount of times there are suitcases behind the door to trip over.No bikes though generally.

That's just a basic emergency.What if a passenger is ill or has a fit,derailment.

I have to get out and protect the train in case the passengers decide they want to get out the train pretty sharpish when it goes tits up.

If that was me with the train manager i'd try and play it by the book but then again I have to.I know it's not easy to do especially after a hard day.

Probably not a good idea asking for her name.Im not sure i'd like to give my details to an (*agressive) total stranger.If you have a problem report the train you were on and they can follow it on from there.

* Im not saying you were agressive but we do get it sometimes.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
hackbike 666 said:
the passengers decide they want to get out the train pretty sharpish when it goes tits up.

WHEN it goes tits up?!:evil: What don't we know hackers? Actually, don't answer that, ignorance is bliss.

Bollo said:
WHEN it goes tits up?!:evil: What don't we know hackers? Actually, don't answer that, ignorance is bliss.

Train fire,fatality,passenger illness or fit.Riot or fight on train.Cord pulled.Train failure,breakdown.door trouble.Can't think of any others at the moment.I've had all of those.

Think I have a reason to get out of the cab.

I got a similar Jobsworth on the Dunfermline train a year back. I was on the very last train to Edinburgh which was completely empty except for me a student (also cyclist) and two non cyclists. The guard said the same to us; I put my bike upright on the hooks but the student didn't want to, something about that if he did it would cost him £50 to drain the hydraulic forks and he couldn't afford that (being a student). I tried to point out how stupid the guard was being but he put the student off the train too.

bonj2

downfader said:
Bonj, what the hell are you on about..? ;)

His reason was perfectly justifiable by the sounds of it. Just because someone like her comes across as high-and-mighty doesnt mean you have to take it. As long as your polite and to the point.

Thats it, definately complain - and tell them Bonj told you to. ;)

but the rule is there, and if she wants to enforce it she can enforce it.

HLaB said:
I got a similar Jobsworth on the Dunfermline train a year back. I was on the very last train to Edinburgh which was completely empty except for me a student (also cyclist) and two non cyclists. The guard said the same to us; I put my bike upright on the hooks but the student didn't want to, something about that if he did it would cost him £50 to drain the hydraulic forks and he couldn't afford that (being a student). I tried to point out how stupid the guard was being but he put the student off the train too.

Yes it seems pointless.

Top Bottom