England : Cumbria Scottish Borders run - 26th July 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks for that Mike, looks simple enough:smile: On the downside, the carer has pulled claiming lack of match fitness; the last ride he did of any length was the Three Ferries.

That's not allowed ... who's going to look after his aged parent? ;)
I haven't done any rides of any length since the Edinburgh Festival of Cycling night ride, which was flatter and s wee bit shorter ... Is there no chance of persuading him to change his mind? :sad:

T

Reactions: GBC
OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm back home, and wow! it is scorchio down here :heat: it was a few degrees cooler on the east coast.

Tommorrow looks fine, 24C + with a possibility of a shower later in the afternoon. Bring 2 bottles (or camelback depending how you are rolling) and suncream. Bottles can be refilled at the cafe stop or at the toilets in Langholm.

I'm not going to be going fast in this heat, it'll be more of a touring pace. Should be a good ride :bicycle::sun:

GBC

Veteran
I'm back home, and wow! it is scorchio down here :heat: it was a few degrees cooler on the east coast.

Tommorrow looks fine, 24C + with a possibility of a shower later in the afternoon. Bring 2 bottles (or camelback depending how you are rolling) and suncream. Bottles can be refilled at the cafe stop or at the toilets in Langholm.

I'm not going to be going fast in this heat, it'll be more of a touring pace. Should be a good ride :bicycle::sun:

Good idea Mike, I was thinking I wouldn't be going very fast either:whistle:

@Edwardoka and @Harry_Palmer79, I'll try a PM with my mobile number for the 'just in case'. Car to look for is a blue Renault Scenic which, like the driver, has seen better days.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Arghh!
Very sorry about this, guys, but I've got to pull out. :cry: Something's come up for the morning, and I can't leave as early as we need to leave any more... :sad:. Apricot bars in the oven and all that, too, looked at the map and the rather good forecast, and was really looking forward to the ride :cry:.

I've PM-ed @ShooglyDougie , but don't have his phone number. If I don't hear back, I may have to cycle to the meet-up to tell him in person, and turn straight around...after handing over a wee cake parcel by way of a hello :hello:
Have a great ride and take lots of photos and video footage! I should be able to go out for a wee ride later tomorrow:bicycle: and will be thinking of you ...

T

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
:sad:

Ah well, such is life. We'll get plenty of photos, video depends if I can fit the camera on the CX in such a way that cables aren't in the way.

We'll miss you.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hope you had a great day out!
The apricot bars are OK, but nothing to shout about, will have to tweak the recipe to make them a bit more exciting... I'm sure @MikeW-71 's flapjacks :hungry: more than made up for my failure to deliver the goods to Carlisle ...
I just did a couple of wee utility rides in the end, with a short diversion to get a bit closer to the Red Arrows passing over Dalkeith on their way to the East Fortune air show ... tiny specks and no colourful vapour trails :rolleyes:.

T

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
We got finished about 30mins ago :smile:

Wow, it was hot for three quarters of the ride, which made getting to Newcastleton seem to take an age. After some refuelling in the coffee shop, the big climb went quite well considering, though Ed did have to drink his Twix afterwards.

A better report later after a shower and food.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Edinburgh got to 27C at 2pm ...:heat:
It must have been at least that and nowhere to hide from it.

I decided against wearing the helmet on the way over the top, which was a good call I think. Once we got to Langholm, we flocked into the toilets and poured cold water over our heads for 5 minutes.

That's the first time I've done that kind of distance on the Revolt carrying a bit of a load (flapjack and suncream) and the 34/34 granny gear got plenty of use. It still got me up everything though, so I'm happy :smile:

EDIT: and it's now raining in Carlisle, which is cooling the air, YAY!

Fubar

Guru
It must have been at least that and nowhere to hide from it.

I decided against wearing the helmet on the way over the top, which was a good call I think. Once we got to Langholm, we flocked into the toilets and poured cold water over our heads for 5 minutes.

That's the first time I've done that kind of distance on the Revolt carrying a bit of a load (flapjack and suncream) and the 34/34 granny gear got plenty of use. It still got me up everything though, so I'm happy :smile:

EDIT: and it's now raining in Carlisle, which is cooling the air, YAY!

Sounds like a great ride, Mrs Fubar still needed the car but was happy for me to go out - 112 miles later I could have ridden to Carlisle! But perhaps not home ;)

Look forward to the pics :smile:

Was far far too hot for my liking but it was a fantastic ride nevertheless ^_^

Many thanks to @MikeW-71 for setting it up and to @GBC for making it so simple to attend!
I've always wanted to explore the borders in more detail and now I have, in great company.

Shame we didn't get to go on the dodgems, I feel that a bit of whiplash would have spiced up the rest of the ride :thumbsup:

Think I'll get my double-chainring tattoo done properly :hyper:

Top Bottom