Scottish Islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've been reading a lot of fiction based around Scotland's islands and quite fancy going on a maiden mini-voyage!

Even just a day, or overnight if easier. Driving up from Central Scotland so if you could give me some details of where you've been I can get planning!

rualexander

Legendary Member
There are a lot of islands.
Best are Mull and the Western Isles.
Mull is easy to get to, has great scenery, lovely roads, great wild camping, etc.

From central Scotland, Arran is the most accessible. It has a distillery, which is always a good thing. And a youth hostel. Islay has even more distilleries and is a nice ride and ferry trip away from Arran.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Arran it is!

1 hour drive to Ardrossan. £7.50 return on ferry. Could do Friday to Sunday, depending on accommodation.

And permission from the wife!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I'm thinking it could be a day out now.

1 hr drive. Ferry across in morning. 55 miles round. Ferry and drive back home.

Was thinking of this Sunday but the ferry timetable starts March 31st.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Found it. Can get a ferry at 6pm.

Only issue is I just read reviews of the route and it's pretty challenging! 55 miles flat would challenge me as I'm just getting back into it, so not sure it might be a bit much!

bruce1530

Guru
That’s the summer timetable.
The winter one is here: https://www.calmac.co.uk/ardrossan-brodick-arran-ferry-winter-timetable - a couple fewer ferries on a Sunday.

So on Sunday, you could get the 0945 ferry, arrive Brodick 10.40. Last boat back is 1800. Give yourself half an hour to get on and off the boat, so you’ve got about 6 hours to get round the island. Remember that it’s winter, so many of the cafes and shops on the south and west of the island will be shut.

bruce1530

Guru
I did a trip round Arran in late November. At the time it was the longest trip I’d done. Report on https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-4566618

Got the 0945 ferry over, 1645 back.

U

User6179

Only issue is I just read reviews of the route and it's pretty challenging! 55 miles flat would challenge me as I'm just getting back into it, so not sure it might be a bit much!

Bute is pretty flat and only about 30 miles around it.

Yes it is. It kicks off with a mother of a hill. However, the ferry will be full of other cyclists who will inspire you to pretend that you're not suffering. There's a nice restaurant by the brewery - yes, there is a brewery and distillery too. There's a decent cafe by the golf course, just opposite the distillery. But as others have said, check what is open and what's not.

gasinayr

Über Member
If you are just getting back into cycling, I would do Bute as mentioned above or the three ferries route. Leave car at Wemyss Bay, cycle up to Gourock, ferry to Dunoon cycle to Colintrive ferry to Buth, cycle round to Rothsey and ferry back to your car. Around 35 miles

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
If you are just getting back into cycling, I would do Bute as mentioned above or the three ferries route. Leave car at Wemyss Bay, cycle up to Gourock, ferry to Dunoon cycle to Colintrive ferry to Buth, cycle round to Rothsey and ferry back to your car. Around 35 miles

In a day? The mention of multiple ferries has thrown me:laugh:

Top Bottom