Scottish Islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
A little diversion - when thinking of Scottish Islands does Kintyre get overlooked? It's very nearly an island, and has much of the character of one. The obvious loop down to Campbeltown is about 64 miles, a little more if you start at Tarbert, so it's probably a little long for a first attempt, but one to bear in mind. When I was there I didn't go beyond Campbeltown, but there are additional attractive-looking circular routes further south.

What you do get is a wonderful contrast, with much of the inlet-free west coast being open to the Atlantic, and the east being far more sheltered and overlooking Arran, just a few miles away. When I rode that circuit I was a little concerned at the steepness of the hills on the eastern side, as indicated by the OS map, but found that the very steep sections were quite short and with the ever-present fantasic views the climbing went almost unnoticed. That's what I remember anyway. I'm probably romanticising a bit.

No, you have it spot on. Shame to go down that distance and not do the Lea side which is right on the tip of the Mull, if you like climbing with a view, this is it.

A great day was had!

Ferry over at 8.45, 22 miles round the island during which we saw a seal, a dead fox and 25 dead frogs.

Breakfast at a cafe in town, then loop 2 of 24.7 miles (I got lost, hence the extra 2.7!)

I think cycling might be my new golf.

You can do both you know. :okay:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
No, you have it spot on. Shame to go down that distance and not do the Lea side which is right on the tip of the Mull, if you like climbing with a view, this is it.

You can do both you know. :okay:

Golf is a frustrating pastime. You turn up, can't get off the tee, or you can get off the tee but mishit 50% of your irons, or the short game deserts you or you can't putt!!! You return 5 hours later in a bad mood and wanting to chuck your clubs out!

Cycling is much more straightforward - you get on the bike, you pedal, you get off the bike. Always finish with a sense of accomplishment!

Cycling seems better for the mind as well as the body!

Slick

Guru
Golf is a frustrating pastime. You turn up, can't get off the tee, or you can get off the tee but mishit 50% of your irons, or the short game deserts you or you can't putt!!! You return 5 hours later in a bad mood and wanting to chuck your clubs out!

Cycling is much more straightforward - you get on the bike, you pedal, you get off the bike. Always finish with a sense of accomplishment!

Ha ha, I've never returned in a bad mood, life and free time in general is too short. Congratulations on your first island challenge, lots more of them and they get tougher but just as enjoyable.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Do you play medals? Maybe I need to stop. Got down to 12 then went up and up. Currently on the magic 13.4!

Somebody mentioned the 5 ferry challenge - but sounds like you spend most of the day on ferries!

and you can have a pint or two half way round.
Never felt the slightest inclination to take up golf but I guess this would be frowned upon.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I play medals but kind of fallen by the way side last season, but intend to get back to it this year. I'm pretty much at the same level playing off 11, to low to win the handicap and too high to win the scratch.

5 ferries is a tough one, especially during the tourist season.

Slick

Guru
and you can have a pint or two half way round.
Never felt the slightest inclination to take up golf but I guess this would be frowned upon.
Your kidding, the favorite past time for the guys I play with is who can mix up the nicest blend in their hip flask. Frowned on, it's openly encouraged.

I stand corrected - though still won't be taking up golf - I was once told by an old time manager that I was not the sort of account manager who clients could imagine having a round of golf with - too damn right I thought, what year do you think this is?

Top Bottom