Scottish Islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
There are a lot of islands.
Best are Mull and the Western Isles.
Mull is easy to get to, has great scenery, lovely roads, great wild camping, etc.
These are my favourite too. I first went to Mull in 1980! Got any tips for wild camping spots?

Venod

Eh up
I have completed several Mountain Marathons by far the best was on Jura not a lot in the way of roads but there is a distillery and the Paps of Jura to scale and thousands of Deer , Ferry from Kennacraig to Isla then an open ferry to Jura, what a weekend that was. That is me at 17:04 in the first video to the left in the background green t shirt (bought on the drive up from The Complete Runner Ilkley and which I still wear on the turbo) and blue rucksack.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A little diversion - when thinking of Scottish Islands does Kintyre get overlooked? It's very nearly an island, and has much of the character of one. The obvious loop down to Campbeltown is about 64 miles, a little more if you start at Tarbert, so it's probably a little long for a first attempt, but one to bear in mind. When I was there I didn't go beyond Campbeltown, but there are additional attractive-looking circular routes further south.

What you do get is a wonderful contrast, with much of the inlet-free west coast being open to the Atlantic, and the east being far more sheltered and overlooking Arran, just a few miles away. When I rode that circuit I was a little concerned at the steepness of the hills on the eastern side, as indicated by the OS map, but found that the very steep sections were quite short and with the ever-present fantasic views the climbing went almost unnoticed. That's what I remember anyway. I'm probably romanticising a bit.

A little diversion - when thinking of Scottish Islands does Kintyre get overlooked? It's very nearly an island, and has much of the character of one. The obvious loop down to Campbeltown is about 64 miles, a little more if you start at Tarbert, so it's probably a little long for a first attempt, but one to bear in mind. When I was there I didn't go beyond Campbeltown, but there are additional attractive-looking circular routes further south.

What you do get is a wonderful contrast, with much of the inlet-free west coast being open to the Atlantic, and the east being far more sheltered and overlooking Arran, just a few miles away. When I rode that circuit I was a little concerned at the steepness of the hills on the eastern side, as indicated by the OS map, but found that the very steep sections were quite short and with the ever-present fantasic views the climbing went almost unnoticed. That's what I remember anyway. I'm probably romanticising a bit.
The east coast of the Mull of Kintyre has some stiff climbs. One for a reasonably fit cyclist.

gasinayr

Über Member
If doing Bute, go anti-clockwise passed Port Bannatyne and Ettrick bay. After that any sign post you come to for Rothsey turn right. Stop at the viewpoint at Scallspy Bay to watch the seals on the beach. Stop at the Kinggarth Hotel for the best pub grub on the island. Leave there on a C road outside the hotel, through the grounds of Mount Stewart House, passed the house and out the front gates and back to Rothsey.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Cheers @gasinayr What distance does that come in at?

rualexander

Legendary Member

IMG_20170315_085829.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Lots of people camp at Loch na Keal on the road to Gribun. Try to see where cattle have been recently tho' as they tend to wander quite far and do a sort of circuit.While not necessarily aggressive they can be a bit nosey and clumsy. Not fun being wakened by clomping feet at 0200 and having to fend them off.

robing

Über Member
Lots of people camp at Loch na Keal on the road to Gribun. Try to see where cattle have been recently tho' as they tend to wander quite far and do a sort of circuit.While not necessarily aggressive they can be a bit nosey and clumsy. Not fun being wakened by clomping feet at 0200 and having to fend them off.
Definitely steer clear of cattle when camping. They will be inquisitive and may damage your tent by licking it or worse they may trample on it with you in it!

Top Bottom