SCP blocked for non opt-inners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Agreed. But there are a few posters who are quite skilled at winding up others, using fairly subtle needling in posts that, taken alone, are not the kind of thing that would be moderated, but end up causing the victim to lose their rag. And then it's the victim who often ends up with posts deleted. That kind of thing is very difficult to moderate fairly - if some of the needling posts are deleted, there are often complaints about unfair moderation, cos 'what was wrong with my post' etc.
Or the not so subtle starting a whole thread which is very little like needling and far more like a great big stabby unsubtle knife.

Big Andy

Über Member
Right wing?

Seriously?
That made me smile somewhat, couldn't decide if the poster was being ironic or was serious.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Do you think that you are alone in feeling this way, that you are somehow individually persecuted.

It works both ways.

Firstly, what you describe above is not always true, or at least is only true for you, from your personal.perspective.

Many posters do not take the time to read posts before replying with either aggressive or worse, passive aggressive responses which invariably have a trolling effect.

Other posters never actually state an opinion...which is infuriating but prefer hide their thoughts while they pick out single words and try to derail the comment ,or worse, to appear smart. Rather than actually being smart, which many members, even those who's posts I don't personally enjoy, clearly are.

Neither of the above activities add anything to discussion and only serve to make SC&P the unattractive silo of preening self esteem that it has become.

You get more opinion in cafe, because cafe has a wider audience, which is why some leak their discussions towards that board for debate and I suspect why others seek to claw these debates back into the silo of comfortable status quo.

Ignoring the rather OTT descriptions, doesn't this suggest that it's the cafe that should be opt in and/or more heavily moderated?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Shame to see FM go. One of the few who could articulate a position without descending into abusive behaviour. Often disagreed with him but respected him enormously.

He's threatened to leave quite a few times in the past and he has taken 'breaks' from the forum, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back at some stage.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ignoring the rather OTT descriptions, doesn't this suggest that it's the cafe that should be opt in and/or more heavily moderated?
I've no doubt it will, following the myopia that results in this opt thingy (which I am not in agreement with BTW, I stated so way back on page one) which will send debate that way instead.

Right now though (and I am not a mod so don't really know) I suspect cafe needs comparatively less administration than sc&p as many members of the latter dont feel comfortable posting in cafe, because of its light hearted and non empirical nature...and as such things stay fairly light.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Very dissapointed by this and also by the loss of members because of it, it seems like a way to get rid of SCP by hiding it so eventually it will die a slow death. If its that bad just get rid of it instead of trying to please everyone and please noone. More moderation would have helped, obvious insults and calling people names carried on without any moderation as far as I could see. In the end not every part of the cyclechat is for everyone, politics is a subject which can contain heated discussions and its hard to take that out of it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Agreed. But there are a few posters who are quite skilled at winding up others, using fairly subtle needling in posts that, taken alone, are not the kind of thing that would be moderated, but end up causing the victim to lose their rag. And then it's the victim who often ends up with posts deleted. That kind of thing is very difficult to moderate fairly - if some of the needling posts are deleted, there are often complaints about unfair moderation, cos 'what was wrong with my post' etc.
Yes. There's an egregious blue-and-yellow example. You say it's difficult to moderate, and not having done it I'll have to take your word for that, but everyone who actually discusses anything in SC&P knew what was going on because they were involved in the threads. And yet he was allowed to persist because he exploited the moderators' disdain for the sub-forum.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What is politics? Try the video below. (And may I respectfully suggest that any continuation of this particular strand might be better in a thread of its own?)

I've liked this, but I'm astonished that you've posted it, given what appears to be a quest to purge sections like the Cafe of all political consciousness.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Right now though (and I am not a mod so don't really know) I suspect cafe needs comparatively less administration than sc&p as many members of the latter dont feel comfortable posting in cafe, because of its light hearted and non empirical nature...and as such things stay fairly light.
I suspect cafe gets comparatively less administration, although I'm not sure it's for the reasons you've stated.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
9 pages. Oh my word. Shall I bother reading it all?

Nah.

I will add something on-topic though. Another forum I'm active on has a similar sub forum, and that's always been opt-in. No one much minded about that, so I don't see why it's in the least bit contentious.

I think it's also members-only and off-limits to search bots too. Dunno if SCP is too.

They also have a similar forum to the cafe, but that's strictly for stuff off the broad topic of the site. On topic stuff gets moved to the appropriate on-topic forum. There are a few anomalies here, but it's possible to work around them, for instance although I ignore-node the cafe which is broadly speaking non-cycling, I subscribe to "Your ride today" which for some reason is in the cafe.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It is odd how things that are posted in Café get dismissed as 'harmless banter', while the same things posted in SC&P are regarded as evidence of bad character.
I don't see the same rounding and bullying, sniping or even passive aggressive behaviour in cafe. To me that's the poor behaviour that drags sc&p down.

Its possible that the biggest offenders in sc&p get more than they bargin for when they try the same behaviour in cafe, simply because more people visit cafe.

Because of this volume of readership its a lot more like real life rather that a members club. As such people have to watch their step a little as they would in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom