SCP blocked for non opt-inners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Right - you didn't mean it then...

theclaud has plenty of faults, which I've had occasion to acknowledge before (the periodic hand-wringing about SC&P is not a new thing, after all). She is combative; she can be condescending; she shoots from the hip; she enjoys the odd in-joke; she sometimes takes an ignoble pleasure in the discomfiture of others, especially if it is headed flounceward. In her favour I think she is frank, forgiving and (I hope) textually perceptive. She tries to be precise. You may disagree. She understands that quite a lot of men do not like women, fictionalized or otherwise, who notice things and answer back. The nice thing about our fictional forum counterparts is that they don't have to reproduce all our shortcomings, and are not subject to precisely the same pressures.

Over to you. I'm happy to offer an analysis if you won't.
I wasn't asking for your favourite review. I was asking for us all...you included...to accept that we need to change if sc&p is to survive.

So yes, I do mean it please dont put words in my mouth.

This is totally typical of the issue. I am trying to gain acceptance that we all need to change, I accept that and attempt to showbtgis frequently in threads. I don't see that same acceptance from others...you included

Its as if accepting that we are wrong...is a failure of some kind.

I believe I try, harder than some to see the impact of my posts and reply's from the other side and am happy to admit if i am wrong without sneering, without sarcasm or without having to have the last word.

My comments in this post are not all directed at you, specifically...but as you were interested enough to respond....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I wasn't asking for your favourite review. I was asking for us all...you included...to accept that we need to change if sc&p is to survive.

So yes, I do mean it please dont put words in my mouth.

This is totally typical of the issue. I am trying to gain acceptance that we all need to change, I accept that and attempt to showbtgis frequently in threads. I don't see that same acceptance from others...you included

Its as if accepting that we are wrong...is a failure of some kind.

I believe I try, harder than some to see the impact of my posts and reply's from the other side and am happy to admit if i am wrong without sneering, without sarcasm or without having to have the last word.

My comments in this post are not all directed at you, specifically...but as you were interested enough to respond....

Right. So you say that we all need to examine and change our behaviour but you don't think there's anything wrong with yours... Gotcha.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Right. So you say that we all need to examine and change our behaviour but you don't think there's anything wrong with yours... Gotcha.
And around and around and around we go.

Perhaps read my posts before falling to the default position that others in this very thread are describing.
..yaddah yadsah yaddah

Shaun

Founder
Sorry @Crackle but your "alternative facts" are unfortunately inaccurate. The visitor figures for that period are:

upload_2017-2-13_12-52-16.png

This is typical and includes the natural peaks and troughs we get through winter, spring, summer and autumn. Your point about threads is reasonable though; we have had fewer threads this past year, so that's something everyone could work on. More threads, more discussion, more interest. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Sorry @Crackle but your "alternative facts" are unfortunately inaccurate. The visitor figures for that period are:

View attachment 337474

This is typical and includes the natural peaks and troughs we get through winter, spring, summer and autumn. Your point about threads is reasonable though; we have had fewer threads this past year, so that's something everyone could work on. More threads, more discussion, more interest. :okay:

Cheers,
I am pleased to hear it and also pleased to hear I'm not completely imagining things.

Now if only the voices would go away.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I just wonder whether some of the issues that people perceive happening in SC&P are a microcosm of what society is experiencing as a result of Brexit and Trump. I find it hard to respect several members of my family for voting as they did, or friends who think that Trump is exactly what is needed so sort out the US and western world. These are very emotive issues which can't be resolved by reason, facts and logic. When the usual strategies for constructing arguments fail, I for one, like many others resort to ad hominem responses - which I then regret as I should be better at arguing my corner. BTW our politicians aren't particularly good role-models at the moment either.
I think you are onto something bit don't agree with it all being about the emotive.

I do think that we all......maybe half... of us are fed up with political spoon feeding and are beginning to open our eyes and kick out more.

So in some ways, perhaps the protest about this section is similar to the protest about politics in life.

And I accept the irony, that some are making the wrong connection, are adding 2+2 and getting 5, I accept that I have done this myself but that does not justify the continued behaviour or status quo.

Any how, back to the op...shame the section is now opt in...it is a dead man walking.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ok, so we are at an impass.

What say we break the cycle, do somethin truly different and attempt to set a tone.

This is not a trap, I am not trying to set you up, score point, win some perceived argument...neither of us will do the latter that's for sure.

I'll start.

Sincerely, I believe you to be smart, witty, fearless and most of all I find you interesting. I start to reqd the vast majority of your posts with one view and end up with another, that is the impact you can have on me and the likes of me.

I hope that we can maintain a forum where that environment can not just survive, but where it can prosper.

Over to you. And if you don't wish to reply that's fine, I have not won, I've not had the last word I've not scored any points...im just trying my best is all.

Shaun

Founder
As to the opt-in change - what I've noticed, having returned more fully to CC in recent weeks (after far too long away), is that personal and political differences between some members are causing rifts and problems throughout CC and certain behaviours are stifling threads to the point where members are just giving up trying to have any sort of discussion or debate. It's not healthy and is something I am working towards addressing.

Nobody joins CycleChat to talk politics because it is not visible to guests. I would like to change this in the future and open it up along the lines of the Cafe so we can stop the whole "us and them" silliness (and I can make a small fortune on banners ads from all the "drama" and buy a small island in the Caribbean ;)), but it needs some changes to get us there.

The opt-in makes the initial experience of new members match the one they've had as a guest. They won't see the politics threads and won't be tempted to "dive in" before getting a feel for the place. It will be easy to find for anyone who does want to dive straight - signposted in the welcome message, sticky in the Cafe (which most people find quite quickly) and support forum - but I'd like to at least make participation, for now, an active choice for members.

I've been reviewing moderation and formalised some of the guidelines into specific rules that the moderators can apply without the need for discussion or deliberation. These will be published shortly and should add transparency and consistency for key problems that we feel most negatively affect the community. There will also be an escalation process for the most damaging behaviours that will lead to initial short-term exclusions, and eventual permanent ban.

In particular, I want to address insults and personal attacks and the nit-picking at other people's opinions without offering any of your own for scrutiny. There are other things too, but these seem to be the key things that are annoying people at the moment.

We actually have a fantastic community that offers loads of help to fellow cyclists and is a treasure trove of information, advice, humour, understanding, intelligent debate and care for each other that I have not seen anywhere else; it just needs a bit of careful rebalance to address some of the niggling issues.

Cheers,

In particular, I want to address insults and personal attacks and the nit-picking at other people's opinions without offering any of your own for scrutiny. There are other things too, but these seem to be the key things that are annoying people at the moment.

Like very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom