SCP blocked for non opt-inners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The odd thing about SC&P, on the few occasions I've ventured in there, as with quite a few of the posts in this thread, is that I can tell that people are arguing, are very angry and don't like each other, but I can't for the life of me figure out what they're arguing about. Even looking at thread titles doesn't help.
The Fascists think all the non-Facists are Commies and the Commies think all the non-Commies are Fascists.

That covers about 80% of the threads.

Another 10% are where the Brexiters think the Remainers are unpatriotic whiners and the Remainers think the Brexiters are idiots.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would like to suggest a list of banned words and phrases for the brave new world of SC&P.
[...]
Mansplaining
False equivalence
Conflating
Substantive
Straw man argument
That would certainly be very convenient for your M.O.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This surprises me: not the statement, but the fact that you consider "The Claud" not to be really you. Have you actually made the forum persona up consciously, on purpose, I mean, or did you realize after a few postings?
I like making fiction up, but would never "fictionalize" myself, so to speak, couldn't keep it up, would be weir too on meeting forum members in person.
Anyhow, you are the only regular of SC&P that I enjoy reading.
Others are excellent for info, but one needs to extrapolate that info first.
The Claud's views are at times too extreme for me, but she is never insulting to other members nor dismissing, she is also ironic, not aggressive :smile:
I don't mean it's an inauthentic persona - I just mean it's different to the one in the pub. Or in a letter. Or on the bike. Or on another bit of the internet. It's inevitable that it will be, because the form is different. You may as well make that work in for you rather than against. We are all, for example, the same size here. I hope you don't think it's unfair if I suggest that, although being a person of robust character and strong opinions, you typically avoid conflict. That's not wrong, but I would say that for a small woman it's more essential in the pub than it is on here, so it doesn't need to be that way. When people on here say 'you wouldn't say that to my face', they are just acknowledging that the form of interaction deprives them of their ability to silence you by intimidation. Good.

Oh and thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Not my experience, when I was (tentatively) descending some b@st@rd of a steep hill in Wales.

I remember something along the lines of . . .

"Pubby, you're a 'bleep', 'bleep' wimp . . . etc., etc." . . . . . . . Which, to be fair, I was.

Apart from when fighting to be served first in a pub.
Bradley Wiggins might have been, er, referenced.

Bradley Wiggins might have been, er, referenced.
I've no memory of that. I was trying to stay out of his way. Which actually should have been easy. Just take the line you're supposed to and Pubby wouldn't be there.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Although, in my experience, it is possible for a few people on here to 'silence you by intimidation', unfortunately.
Yebbut the means are not the same. And I don't reckon they'd even try it so much if you were a bricklayer called Dave from Sunderland. Which absolutely isn't a criticism of your choice of username - it's just a plea for people to see what's happening in front of their eyes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Absolutely not. Just a lack of imagination and a fear of scrutiny.

Petrified me.

And you could show a bit of imagination instead of posting the same tired, old, snidey digs.

I posted a list of words.

Big deal.

Why the need to dig into the poster?

Haven't you read a word Shaun has written in this thread?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Petrified me.

And you could show a bit of imagination instead of posting the same tired, old, snidey digs.

I posted a list of words.

Big deal.

Why the need to dig into the poster?

Haven't you read a word Shaun has written in this thread?

You posted a list of words you want banned because their use disadvantages you or calls attention to your behaviour. What's the 'big deal' if people use the words they want, without your approval? Who exactly do you think you are?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ok, so we are at an impass.

What say we break the cycle, do somethin truly different and attempt to set a tone.

This is not a trap, I am not trying to set you up, score point, win some perceived argument...neither of us will do the latter that's for sure.

I'll start.

Sincerely, I believe you to be smart, witty, fearless and most of all I find you interesting. I start to reqd the vast majority of your posts with one view and end up with another, that is the impact you can have on me and the likes of me.

I hope that we can maintain a forum where that environment can not just survive, but where it can prosper.

Over to you. And if you don't wish to reply that's fine, I have not won, I've not had the last word I've not scored any points...im just trying my best is all.

I appreciate the conciliatory noises but as before I'm honestly at a loss as to what you want me (or whoever you think is part of whatever problem) to do that's 'truly different'. I post stuff about beer, stuff about bikes, and stuff about politics, including the politics of beer and bikes. I have quite a lot of unpopular opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom