SCP blocked for non opt-inners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
baby-ultimate-fighting.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
But how do I know which is which?
I helped you by providing a link to put in Google,you have not read many of the results it threw up, have you?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well, I think that this is a fantastic forum, there are lots of people putting lots of work into it, and we must all respect and appreciate that. Still, I have seen people on here being bullied. One looked to have been bullied off of here, and that, I do not like. That is not friendly, let alone family friendly.

Also, the fact that @Flying_Monkey, whom I deeply respect, has raised issues, should set alarm bells ringing. I've been reading his posts since the C+ days and I've never disagreed with him, but have often learned from him. He's got to be one of the most even-handed forum members ever.

My two penneth would be that if you don't like the tone of SCP; don't go in there. Its easy, nobody needs to be babied out of it.

Last edited:
Well, I think that this is a fantastic forum, there are lots of people putting lots of work into it, and we must all respect and appreciate that. Still, I have seen people on here being bullied. One looked to have been bullied off of here, and that, I do not like. That is not friendly, let alone family friendly.

Also, the fact that @Flying_Monkey, whom I deeply respect, has raised issues, should set alarm bells ringing. I've been reading his posts since the C+ days and I've never disagreed with him, but have often learned from him. He's got to be one of the most even-handed forum members ever.

My two penneth would be that if you don't like the tome of SCP; don't go in there. Its easy, nobody needs to be babied out of it.
As I have posted the real issue is not SC&P. The majority of recent threads which have been locked have either been in café or started off in café. The issue is the posters.

Last edited:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . the problem is not about challenging others comments, it appears to me to be posters who use insults and personal, belittling posts with impunity. That is not debate, that is bullying. While the most innocuous thread on other parts of the forum can spiral into spiteful nonsense, it is a fairly rare occurrence. On SC&P it was (in my opinion) the norm.

@odav , you are entirely correct.

The forum has become increasingly petty recently; there are some, who like to respond to posts with comments such as:

WTF ? or WGAF ? (or similar acronyms) - these are not exactly the most 'constructive' of responses.

Such responses do nothing more than signal hostility and act as a form of virtue signalling to those who share similar views - cue more hostility. Another put-off are the ultra-patronising and (as mentioned above) belittling posts that are made. Those who might object, are (patronisingly) called 'delicate blooms' - or similar.

What I find rather ironic, is that in the 'Personal Matters' section of the forum, 'advice' and 'guidance' in Life matters, is frequently offered those who are scathing of the 'delicate blooms' elsewhere on the forum.

Unfortunately, courtesy and good manners are increasingly in short supply and (IMO) the Mods do a good job, in challenging circumstances.

Last edited:
U

User32269

@odav , you are entirely correct.

The forum has become increasingly petty recently; there are some, who like to respond to posts with comments such as:

WTF ? or WGAF ? (or similar acronyms) - these are not exactly the most 'constructive' of responses.

Such responses do nothing more than signal hostility and act as a form of virtue signalling to those who share similar views - cue more hostility. Another put-off are the ultra-patronising and (as mentioned above) belittling posts that are made. Those who might object, are (patronisingly) called 'delicate blooms' - or similar.

What I find rather ironic, is that in the 'Personal Matters' section of the forum, 'advice' and 'guidance' in Life matters, is frequently offered those who are scathing of the 'delicate blooms' elsewhere on the forum.

Unfortunately, courtesy and good manners are increasingly in short supply and (IMO) the Mods do a good job, in challenging circumstances.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with challenging racist and homophobic posts. Coming from the left myself, I can laugh at certain posters who challenge my views with nonsense about gulags and ice picks. I think that says a lot about them, more than I could say by insulting them.
I am embarrassed that I would be associated with a group of posters on SC&P because I come from a left wing perspective. They are pack hunting bullies. Not prepared to accept that others may hold views they find uncomfortable, yet not willing to engage in civil debate. Roly eyed smilies, erroneous accusations, and deeply personal insults being the preferred weapons. Cowardly keyboard warrior behaviour.
Left wing or right wing, if poster make regular use of personal insults or attacks, they should be excluded from that thread. It discourages others from contributing and intimidates people.
Just my opinion.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think @Drago can be quite funny, even though his habit of spouting sillyness just for the sake of controversy is as irritating as his avatars.
Anyhow, I'm not opting out as I need to keep updated about Brexit and I don't have time to read all the different newspapers: either I read the papers, or I read ride reports on CC, guess which one I prefer?
SC&P has helped my journey of self discovery: I honestly did not know I was one of them right wing sexists prejudiced bigots, but there you go.
CC is still the best for all things cycling though, let's not forget why we joined this excellent forum.

screenman

Legendary Member
grant me patience, what you post about brexit and how the local lincolnshire people are beneath you and how the place is flooded with foreigners isn't political, you are having a laugh if you expect me to believe you.

I think that goes to show then that quite often we come across wrong when writing on the forum, as opposed to real life.

Yes I am concerned about Brexit, certainly for poorer people, is that wrong.

Foreigners in Lincolnshire I support which is the opposite of most in the county, is that wrong. Fact is I tend to see people as people regardless of where they were born. My father was a communist and a racist, I do not hold his views, thankfully.

I have never considered myself political, I shall have to consider that more.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I don't understand this, why aren't people capable of ignoring something they have no interest in? In exactly the same way as happened with the helmet debate some industrial scale and in my opinion blatant trolling has resulted in a decision which is knee jerk and out of all proportion.
It's not my house, but this makes no sense.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Roly eyed smilies, erroneous accusations, and deeply personal insults being the preferred weapons. Cowardly keyboard warrior behaviour.

Yes, I've been on the receiving end of this myself :

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-new-hero-seb.213460/page-3

A well-known member accused me of 'leaping to Farage's defence' - which was rather perplexing, as I hadn't said anything even remotely complimentary about Farage in the entire thread. I thank @User43827 and @jonny jeez for pointing this out to the offender; this example aptly illustrates how some actually don't read posts thoroughly before they respond - they are simply looking for disagreement and respond in kind.

I could reply with a futile "WGAF ?" or "WTF ?" - so popular with many on here, but what would be the point ? Is that what someone might refer to as 'calling someone out' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom