Scrapping old bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I now realise you don't need to get rid of a frame, you need lots more ....

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/index.php?q=bicycle-art.html

Edit: embedding those images doesn't seem to work, so click the link to see all the wild ideas.

In the meantime, on more idea

6dcf6756369f5322d5960e1d36c99f2b.jpg

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Clearly you've never power washed a huge phallus design in your algae covered drive like someone that I know. :whistle:

Power washers are less fun than I expected, though obscene graphity clean bits has a certain appeal. Used a power washer to dig out a mud filled cave tunnel - not very effective and dull after 5 mins. Probably needed the ones the south american gold miners use rather than B&q one

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If your dump is in West Sussex once it goes in the skip it isn't coming out again until it has been compacted and crushed.

Other local authority waste schemes are available.

OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
what did the lbs say was wrong with it?
That they couldn't vouch for the integrity of the frame, mainly due to large mental tank driving into the back of it (read a small car).

I am still not sure what to do with my bike but I REALLY want an angle grinder now. It certainly beats drilling holes willy nilly with my SDS drill, which is my current fun for a Saturday night.

OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
When my road bike was rebuilt after an accident I took the old frame and forks to the tip. But I hacksawed a section out of the chainstay and cut one of the carbon forks in half in case anyone felt like 'rescuing' bits that had been condemned. They looked OK, but who knows, and I wouldn't want anyone to come to harm. The hacksawing wasn't at all difficult.

Only mentally!

I do like hacksawing stuff - I once got left alone in the living room one saturday morning and hacked off the bottom of the coffee table (it was just too tall).... but I think Lady B may have to go in the shed for now until I summon up the courage. and then if she gets stolen, I will really hope that she does fall apart on their ass.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is reminding me of Roger McGough.

I think you should cut it into little pieces, and throw away every piece but one.

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I am still not sure what to do with my bike but I REALLY want an angle grinder now. It certainly beats drilling holes willy nilly with my SDS drill, which is my current fun for a Saturday night.
Large areas of my 1930's house need raking out and repointing. I can't imagine how long and arduous a task raking out manually would be, but a carbide mortar rake in a small angle grinder makes it (relatively) quick and easy to take out about 1" of old crumbling mortar. In a strange loaves and fishes kind of way, it also seems to produce a greater volume of sand than the volume to be repointed. Shamefully, I have to tell you that this is "after" rather than "before" - I'm still learning.
DSCN0825.JPG

Haven't yet found a need to take a cutting disc to an old frame, though, and hope I never need to, but it seems like the tool for the job. Get one, you know you want to; it's far more versatile than an SDS drill, even one with a non-rotating hammer action, fun though that is.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Large areas of my 1930's house need raking out and repointing. I can't imagine how long and arduous a task raking out manually would be, but a carbide mortar rake in a small angle grinder makes it (relatively) quick and easy to take out about 1" of old crumbling mortar. In a strange loaves and fishes kind of way, it also seems to produce a greater volume of sand than the volume to be repointed. Shamefully, I have to tell you that this is "after" rather than "before" - I'm still learning.
View attachment 109077
Haven't yet found a need to take a cutting disc to an old frame, though, and hope I never need to, but it seems like the tool for the job. Get one, you know you want to; it's far more versatile than an SDS drill, even one with a non-rotating hammer action, fun though that is.

I dug a pond in the garden in my last house. I can confirm that the volume of clay and stones that had to be taken to the tip was far, far in excess of the volume of the hole in the ground I produced!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
with grinder - a key thing is to use metal cutting (or grinding) discs for metal, and the appropriate different ones for stone. They look much the same once used and labels are scratched off but you keep thinking it isn't working that well

did I say goggles already?

The rotary wire brushy tool is great for de-rusting iron or steel (for heavy things only like garden furniture, not reynolds tubing!)

115mm is the general purpose size (4-1/2" in old money). Bigger ones are builders' tools etc

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
did I say goggles already?
I think in this case only, I would dispense with goggles and instead use a very thick old woollen scarf wrapped tightly round ears and eyes. MissTillyFlop is already distraught, now if she were to both see and hear her beloved bicycle being angle ground I fear it may tip her over the edge.

Top Bottom