Scrapping old bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That they couldn't vouch for the integrity of the frame, mainly due to large mental tank driving into the back of it (read a small car).

I am still not sure what to do with my bike but I REALLY want an angle grinder now. It certainly beats drilling holes willy nilly with my SDS drill, which is my current fun for a Saturday night.

The bike will be fine. Bloody LBS.

I dug a pond in the garden in my last house. I can confirm that the volume of clay and stones that had to be taken to the tip was far, far in excess of the volume of the hole in the ground I produced!
As an engineering geologist, I can confirm that you have discovered the "bulking factor". The excavated spoil does indeed occupy a greater volume than the hole it came out of because it was fully compacted in-situ, in the heap of spoil it's not.

Bulking factors vary, but could be up to maybe 30%. You'd not be the first to discover that the plot of land you'd earmarked for the excavated spoil wasn't big enough........

That they couldn't vouch for the integrity of the frame, mainly due to large mental tank driving into the back of it (read a small car).

I am still not sure what to do with my bike but I REALLY want an angle grinder now. It certainly beats drilling holes willy nilly with my SDS drill, which is my current fun for a Saturday night.

For some reason that last bit made me think of this^_^;

Tim Hall

As an engineering geologist, I can confirm that you have discovered the "bulking factor". The excavated spoil does indeed occupy a greater volume than the hole it came out of because it was fully compacted in-situ, in the heap of spoil it's not.

Bulking factors vary, but could be up to maybe 30%. You'd not be the first to discover that the plot of land you'd earmarked for the excavated spoil wasn't big enough........
You always dig a hole and put the spoil in that.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

:okay:
I assumed that was the reason, it was just how much more volume it appeared to be (it is possible my judgment my have been somewhat affected by having to bag it all up and take it away, getting covered in mud in the process!)

Last edited:

ANT 666

Trying to re member
If you've got a grinder you need one of these!!!
10-1B841339-989687-800.jpg
Chainsaw teeth! scary to use but lots of fun.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh lord, I am shamed to admit that I did not understand most of that post, but you are right: I REALLY DO.
Yes, you do. Angle grinders are the greatest. I've never cut up a bicycle itself with one, but I haven't sweated over a corroded and useless crankset, trying to remove it with time, patience and penetrating oil for some time.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

I'm guessing that's why my bags of rubbish are ten times the size of the bin I've taken them out of.

Top Bottom