Seal Skinz All Weather Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter10

With winter coming I decided I needed some good quality gloves. I generally have a high tolerance to the cold, but on the bike naturally your hands get the brunt of the weather.

I did some looking around and finally went for the Seal Skinz All Weather Gloves from Evans. Evans sell them for £29.99 but I got them to price match another company down to £21.99.

I couldn't wear them for a while as it was still too warm out to give a winter glove a good go. However, I used them for my commute yesterday morning and all day at work on the bike travelling from job to job. They were perfect. They kept my hands very warm and my ears were cold by the end of my trip so I knew it was chilly out. The gloves have a nice silicone grip on the fingers and palm which grips perfectly. With some gloves in the past, I have found that you can struggle to properly "feel" the brake levers but no issues so far on both a road bike and mountain bike.

On the whole they are great gloves, not as windproof as I would hope but I can't moan at all. Not tested the waterproof properties of them yet, but they are definitely toasty!

I would highly recommend these gloves, but shop around and get Evans to price match if you can. I only used Evans as I have an account with them.

CharlesF

Guru
I have just bought these, in red, and they had their first ride, fine going to work but coming home it was pouring with rain and I casn confirm they are not at all waterproof. My hands were sopping wet.

Sending them back tomorrow, also wrote to Sealskinz to tell them

Finn

Bought a Similar pair of winter sealskins with claims of being waterproof. The gloves are warm and windproof and suspect they will be be fine in all but the coldest conditions. Had a gentle ride in heavy drizzle and found they werent really that waterproof after an hour or too. It felt wet in the glove. not cold but wouldnt expect great waterproofing for heavy rain.
On the plus side i find the grip excellent considering the thickness off the gloves.

Norm

They're too small and therefore very hard to don with wet/cold hands!
That's strange, as... well, it might be the same issue that I have but the inners are smaller than the outer shells. I have large hands, I tried on the XXL gloves and there was still around 1cm of difference in the length of the outers and the inners. Made them unusable on the bike.

Instead, I've tried a pair of "sports gloves". They are unbranded, I bought them for a couple of quid from JJS or Sportsworld or somewhere like that. They have a leather-like material on the palms and a stretchy spandex-like material on the backs of the hands and they are as warm as toast. I haven't tried them in the wet but they are superb in the dry - I'd recommend them if there was any identifying marks on them. :blush:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I have the SealSkinz MTB gloves and agree that they are good in the cold and dry conditions but in rain they are not very good. I think the problem is maybe that they don't breathe enough so you end up with wet hands anyway. And because the waterproof membrane is not on the outside the insulation and outer fabric soaks up the rain like a sponge which makes them even less breathable.
And yes they are hard to put back on when your hands are wet.

cycleGeoff

I would love to get the more expensive stuff... but for now I'll just settle for the cheaper stuff

HERE.

These gloves are the ones I have, mainly because they're like £7 or something. Maybe I should upgrade sometime...

cycleGeoff

But then thats not to say that those gloves aren't very good! because they ARE pretty good. what I want now is to look at one of those conductive touch gloves so you can use an iphone touchscreen through it... as long as they're toasty something like those would be great.

Top Bottom