Searching for a reasonably priced helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, as the title says, I'm looking for a camera which won't break the bank. I've tried the cheap Chinese type but it's impossible to set the time/date, and the battery dies within six months. I don't particularly want a TV screen perched on my helmet and I've set myself a budget of £100 for something discreet. Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated. Thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member

Drift Innovations 'Ghost X' is £130.00 (less with promo codes) and has very good battery life. Mine's still going strong after two years. Downside is they're masters of BS when it comes to after-sales issues so be warned.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks like they have a newer, better, cheaper model... [Click HERE]
I'm occasionally singled out for advertising for these. They look nice and not too pricey so not a huge loss if it turns out to be pants. So I've been tempted. But on the other hand there's something snake-oily about their advertising and website that puts me off.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I'm occasionally singled out for advertising for these. They look nice and not too pricey so not a huge loss if it turns out to be pants. So I've been tempted. But on the other hand there's something snake-oily about their advertising and website that puts me off.
Mmmmmmm?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-123554.png
    Screenshot_20210919-123554.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 12

vickster

Legendary Member
Get one that doesn’t have to be mounted on helmet from a safety point if view :okay:

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Yes, there is something fishy about these guys. They're recommending accessories which will hike the price from £43 to over £60. No PayPal option either. 🤔

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm occasionally singled out for advertising for these. They look nice and not too pricey so not a huge loss if it turns out to be pants. So I've been tempted.
TBH though, I think it is worth paying more for a better camera. A mate has just bought an old GoPro and the picture quality and features are way ahead of those cheapo ones.

I liked the GoPro voice control...

GoPro instructions said:
Your GoPro is now listening to you. Simply say any of the 12 following basic GoPro voice commands:
  • “GoPro Start Recording”
  • “GoPro HiLight” (Adds a highlight tag while recording video)
  • “GoPro Stop Recording”
  • “GoPro Take a Photo”
  • “GoPro Shoot Burst”
  • “GoPro Start Time Lapse”
  • “GoPro Stop Time Lapse”
  • “GoPro Video Mode”
  • “GoPro Photo Mode”
  • “GoPro Time Lapse Mode”
  • “GoPro Burst Mode”
  • “GoPro Turn Off”
If you have the camera helmet mounted then you can just look at what interests you and tell the camera to video/photograph it

But on the other hand there's something snake-oily about their advertising and website that puts me off.
I agree!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you have the camera helmet mounted then you can just look at what interests you and tell the camera to video/photograph it
But... I share the same reservations as @vickster about carting something about which could potentially get forced through a helmet into your skull!

I just found THIS ARTICLE on the BBC website. Maybe the dangers are less than we thought? :whistle:

bagpuss

Guru
Had a Cycliq Fly 12 for the last 2 years . No issues to date .Good run times and picture quality . Handle bar mounted . Not cheap .

Top Bottom