England : West Yorkshire Seasons of Mists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Without a doubt the hardest climb was the one just 8 or 9 miles from the finish before descending alongside Widdop reservoir. I've climbed it before on one of Colin's rides but not after having done quite so many challenging hills prior to it. It's the initial 200-300 metres that is the toughest especially around the slopey bend. It must be near to 25% for that bit. I believe Colin gave us some info about it a while ago. Is it called Thursden?
Yes! This little fella ...

thursden_climb_large.jpg

thursden-climb-wide.jpg

:smile:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Every time you put that photo up Colin, I think to myself 'it feels worse than it looks'. It just doesn't seem to give justice to the real steepness.

Edit: on another note, yesterday's ride was well beyond my current fitness judging by how knackered and rough I feel, not to mention the aching lower back. Thankfully the planned 200 km is flat.

Last edited:

tubbycyclist

That looks stunning, Just what a fat bloke like me needs to tackle, have you got it on a 40-50 miler GPX that i could nick?

Here are the two routes that ran for the day. The shorter 50km one and the longer 100km one. If you are set on 50 miles it would be relatively easy to shorten the 100km route by missing out Waddington Fell. Head towards Grindleton from Waddington and pick up the route again there, although I think that constitutes excessive hill dodging. If you/anyone fancies the route one weekend I am happy to lead a hill fest from Hebden.

Mickthemove

Über Member
Here are the two routes that ran for the day. The shorter 50km one and the longer 100km one. If you are set on 50 miles it would be relatively easy to shorten the 100km route by missing out Waddington Fell. Head towards Grindleton from Waddington and pick up the route again there, although I think that constitutes excessive hill dodging. If you/anyone fancies the route one weekend I am happy to lead a hill fest from Hebden.

Sounds great, might try and sort something in the first half of November with another pal if your up for it (i am not very quick though, av abt 9-10 on hilly rides), hopefully when the sun is at least visible :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds great, might try and sort something in the first half of November with another pal if your up for it (i am not very quick though, av abt 9-10 on hilly rides), hopefully when the sun is at least visible :smile:
9-10 mph or kph? :whistle: :thumbsup:

Hours of daylight could be a problem in mid-November since it is dark by 17:00. At 9 mph, you'd be taking 7 hours to do the 100 km, so make sure you get an early start, unless you enjoy doing steep climbs in the dark! And be prepared for a very nippy start ...

The hill that I posted the photos of gets almost no sun in the winter and never seems to get gritted so it is often covered in ice in cold weather. You should be ok in November, but I have been caught out by ice there at that time of year.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

Hours of daylight could be a problem in mid-November since it is dark by 17:00. At 9 mph, you'd be taking 7 hours to do the 100 km, so make sure you get an early start, unless you enjoy doing steep climbs in the dark! And be prepared for a very nippy start ...

The hill that I posted the photos of gets almost no sun in the winter and never seems to get gritted so it is often covered in ice in cold weather. You should be ok in November, but I have been caught out by ice there at that time of year.
This can't be stressed enough, black ice on there is a regular occurance.

Mickthemove

Über Member

MPH!:cry: although that is the slowest average i have had with hills and in the wind and rain :cold: very fast downhill though!:gun:

8.30 start, give myself 6 hours with a tuck stop thrown in and the thought of it getting dark should gee me up to 10-11 an hour:hyper:

cheers guys

Top Bottom