England : West Yorkshire Seasons of Mists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Too early ...
I hate eating that early, but I found charging straight up that hill for SoM (or the Keighley Road for SITD) made me feel sick if left breakfast too late.

... it's a long time from home to the 1st cafe stop.
Yes, it is, especially once your extra ride to the start is taken into account.

I may have something at home and make an unofficial stop on route.
Couldn't you just nibble something as you are riding along? (A flapjack, or something similar.)

sackville d

Veteran
Do you know what time will she be open?
Ginas is a butty cabbin. No plate meals but buttys and cups of tea or coffee available from about 7.30 serving the market traders nice and early.

Steve H

Large Member
Timings didn't work for me to do this ride, but I have been out early this morning and it is a glorious, crisp Autumn day. Ideal conditions for this audax today. Looking forward to hearing the ride reports later.

tubbycyclist

By `eck it were grand!:sun::bicycle:

It has been a cracking day - 120 on the Season of Mists this morning and close to 50 on the shorter 50km Mellow Fruitfulness, could not have hoped for better conditions. As I usually ride it was a bit different being on the other side of the desk this morning - makes you appreciate the incredible amount of work that Chris and the team put into organising the event; processing 100 entries on the line and getting ready for the return. Saw a few cc'ers at registration and hope you have all had fun.

Svendo

Guru
Hey what a fabulous day! Been home a couple of hours. I saw someone who may have been Tubbycyclist next to Chris Crossland at the registrations. Busy doing on the day entries in time for the start so i didn't interrupt.
Set off near the front, there was the usual Condor Road group charging off in to the fog over the long causeway. Already by Blackshaw head I was at the top of the downhill and they were half way up the far side. Once through the fog the weather gradually warmed up and got sunnier. Picked up the next group from behind, but having led them through the fog and down to Red Lees Road, lost most of them after being held up by cars at a turning. At Waddington they were just leaving as I got there, but I stopped for a 'comfort break' and to peel of some layers. There was another cycle event in the other direction going over Waddington Fell, which led to some nice comradely greetings. Nearly overcooked on the turns at the bottom with the second cattle grid. I suspect I owe a lot to the grip of the newish Michelin Pro4 race tyres on my good wheels!
Lovely ride along back lane (if you look at the ride on a map, e.g. ColinJ's plot here, you can see the route is essentially a ride out to do this little loop of lovely lane which doesn't really go anywhere else, and then back to Hebden Bridge.) I'd realised I'd forgotten to restart the timer at Waddington, and although I guessed I'd missed about 10kms I missed the info control at Laythams. Annoying as I'd gone to the trouble of switching the units to metric before the start and everything!
I knew what was next though, the deceptively leg sapping sawtooth profile of the section form Slaidburn to Nelson. I managed to avoid just staring at the road and wheel in front all the time and take in the views on some of the climbs.
Once through Coldwell I knew I was on the home straight so could go 'into the red' a it more. Got over Thrsden Hill OK and enjoyed the blast down from there past Widdop, Sunday Drivers and Hairy cattle not withstanding. Got some motivation and secret pleasure from picking off Mellow Fruitfulness riders, had a look at the final state of the repaired Lee Wood Road (bodged) and back to Salem. Chris kindly looked at the GPS track on my Garmin in lieu of the info control I'd missed, although I heard him say he'd had at least 3 different answers from people. Quick plate of sandwiches and cake before going home to see the missus before she's off to work.
Afraid I didn't knowingly see any other Cyclechatters, so if I seemed to blank you it's my memory not my rudeness to blame. FYI I did have the full cyclechat kit on, which also performed well.

Afraid I didn't knowingly see any other Cyclechatters, so if I seemed to blank you it's my memory not my rudeness to blame. FYI I did have the full cyclechat kit on, which also performed well.

Me too, had the cc shirt on but set off in about the last 3rd so missed you, and never caught up! For whatever reason (read being lazy after returning from France and hardly touching the bike) I found today bloody hard going and suffered from cramps, resulting in a rather disappointing 6 hours start to finish, a full 50 minutes over last year, though a lot of that would be accounted for in stopping for a goodly length at both Waddington and Coldwell.

The roads imo have seriously deteriated over the last 12 months, managed to lose a full bottle out of my rear cage bouncing on uneven road surfaces before even getting to HB:angry: favorite bottle as well :angry:

My first audax event and I really enjoyed it. Didnt go too fast as I had a few health issues and one of the guys I was riding with doesnt do hills very quickly, but all three of us made it round. My new bike performed wel and only needs a few tweaks to the bars and saddle to make it right. The weather was perfect, couldnt have asked for a better day. I will certainly do this event in the future.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yaaaay I finished in time. Pretty pleased with myself and even though I died a few times I enjoyed the day....well done to the organisers.

I saw svendo, zack lows and a dude I saw on middleagedcyclists night ride.

If I missed someone I'm sorry.

Cracking day...weather wise, just over 95 miles all in.

Last edited:

zacklaws

Guru
I knew it was going to be hot, but not that flaming hot......suffered from 50K with the heat. Still terrified of descending after my front wheel blowout in Spring into the Dales and another one in the Summer at Pately Bridge. It can be embarising walking up hills (not far off today with the heat)....but it would be even more so walking down them...and I'm not far off that point of doing so, my nerves are in tatters.

Yaaaay I finished in time. Pretty pleased with myself and even though I died a few times I enjoyed the day....well done to the organisers.

I saw svendo, zack lows and a dude I saw on middleagedcyclists night ride.

If I missed someone I'm sorry.

Cracking day...weather wise, just over 95 miles all in.

That would be me :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Congratulations everybody!

I felt a bit miffed at not being fit enough to tackle SoM, so I went out for a solo ride on my bike this afternoon. I encountered quite a few of the faster finishers coming down Lee Wood Road. It was about 2:15 by the time I got up there, so they were heading for a sub-5.5 hour finish.

Lovely conditions for a ride! I did a 50 km loop and had just got back to Hebden Bridge when bromptonfb rang to say he had done SoM, and asked if I fancied meeting him for a celebratory drink, so I turned back and met him outside the Shoulder of Mutton where he treated me to a Coke.

He was a bit knackered, but pleased with his day out. I felt a bit sorry for him having another 16 or 17 miles to ride home.

bromptonfb after SoM 2013.jpg

An absolutely, fantastic enjoyable and challenging ride along with the weather which was ideal. The early mist as we reached Slack Top lived up to the ride title.

Like others I never managed to meet any of the few CCers I have previously met on Colin's forum rides. Apart from the valiant and selfless tubbycyclist who was unfortunately injured for this one but assisted with the registration. Good memories of enjoying his companionship in April on 'Spring into the Dales'. So that's the brace of these 2 audaxes chalked up now and I feel quite chuffed. I did meet a couple of chaps from Huddersfield CTC at the Waddington Cafe stop and after having a good chat over a welcome plate of baked beans on toast we rode together for the remainder of the journey. We took our time and elongated the cafe stops . Without a doubt the hardest climb was the one just 8 or 9 miles from the finish before descending alongside Widdop reservoir. I've climbed it before on one of Colin's rides but not after having done quite so many challenging hills prior to it. It's the initial 200-300 metres that is the toughest especially around the slopey bend. It must be near to 25% for that bit. I believe Colin gave us some info about it a while ago. Is it called Thursden?

Top Bottom