Seat Post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I will hopefully buy a Trek Emonda ALR 6 and its fitted with a Carbon seat post offset 5mm but I want a lighter one.
I've looked at the Trek seat posts and can't find one the same they did however have a cheap carbon seat post which might be or might be not the one and that is 265 gms weight so I'm looking at getting a new seat post at about 160 ish gms.
What sort of stem size should it be for a 54cm frame size as there are several sizes?
Got any thoughts to whats a good one at about the £80/90 mark?
PS.. Matt or black in colour.
Cheers

screenman

Legendary Member
Stem should be the length you need when measured for the bike.

Saving weight on a carbon seat post, have you tried shaving your legs and hair as that might save you a few grammes. I take it that you already weigh 6 stone.^_^

Citius

So you think saving about 100g - approximately the weight of a bar of soap - is going to make a difference to you?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
So you think saving about 100g - approximately the weight of a bar of soap - is going to make a difference to you?

No but lighter wheels and skewers, shorter stem, lighter seat post, handle bars, saddle, will be about
600 /650gms less. Most of which I have already.

Citius

Obviously you can do what you want - it's your money - as long as you realise that none of this is going to make any actual, real world difference to how fast you go.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Weight weenies, most of the ones i've met have £3or4 grand bikes and 50p legs.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Obviously you can do what you want - it's your money - as long as you realise that none of this is going to make any actual, real world difference to how fast you go.

I must be doing it wrong then as I'm faster on a 7.5 kg bike than I am on a 9.5 kg bike?

Citius

2kg is a bit more of a saving than 600g, especially if there is much climbing involved.. How much faster were you anyway?

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is unless you have your bike as it was, and the same bike but lightened and can test them simultaneously there is no way of telling why you went quicker. You may as well attribute it to your socks for all the scientific basis in such claims.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
2kg is a bit more of a saving than 600g, especially if there is much climbing involved.. How much faster were you anyway?

The Trek Emonda ALR Ultegra is 7.8kg add 260 for carbon ultegra pedals that makes 8.60 then take off 600gms and it should be about 7.5kg mark and climbing is involved as I live on a mountain (1680 mtrs) and I'm almost at the top?

Top Bottom