Seatpost suspension carbon frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
id like some advice on weather its ok to put a suntour suspension seatpost on a carbon frame cyclocross bike, the bikes for paths & offroad but not MTB just countryside paths ect

Reference weight ect , im about 14 stone the suntours about 1.5/67 kg est

Im in my early 40s overweight with a bad back, not obese though but nearly, & the seatpost really helps ability to distance, had a hardtail MTB but cheap & 2 heavy for use, as dont have transport to nice areas, & cant afford a 2k mtb ect, & yes i know, losing 2 stone would be better than the seatpost ! )

Considering planet bikes, yet there cheaply made est, hence such good bikes for price

cheers

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It’ll be fine, just make sure you get the correct diameter post.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above. I used to have one on a hybrid and it really does make a difference, much more tan front suspension. You might consider a different stem which may things more comfortable.

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Ive looked into stems, might consider as an upgrade, carbon forks should give some give i assume, new gel tape ect, the parts quite heavy compared to carbon posts & fancy seats, & im not familiar with carbon bikes, last time i biked was no front suspension on most bikes, another question, should i grease post or use carbon paste ? thanks

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe use the carbon paste if the post moves.

I have carbon and steel forks and find there’s very little difference.

I suggested the shorter stem as on CX bikes the stem is quite long, like a road bike, a shorter one will make you more upright maybe increasing your comfort. A 5-30o angle would be more so. I found it made quite a difference on my Specialized AWOL which has more relaxed geometry compared to yours.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ive looked into stems, might consider as an upgrade, carbon forks should give some give i assume, new gel tape ect, the parts quite heavy compared to carbon posts & fancy seats, & im not familiar with carbon bikes, last time i biked was no front suspension on most bikes, another question, should i grease post or use carbon paste ? thanks
Carbon paste is best.

As for carbon forks having "Some give" or giving a more comfortable ride, that is one of the biggest myths in cycling. Carbon fibre is known for it's incredible stiffness, how that also translates to being able to absorb road shocks is a mystery.

Tangoup51

Carbon paste is best.

As for carbon forks having "Some give" or giving a more comfortable ride, that is one of the biggest myths in cycling. Carbon fibre is known for it's incredible stiffness, how that also translates to being able to absorb road shocks is a mystery.

I agree. I know that carbon can be designed to have flex, but riding with steel forks yield a Massive comfort gain over carbon.

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

yes, a myth to many, im 5,8 & a 50 52 should be suited, short leg 29 as regards jeans not bike measure, i might fit a 49, not sure if smaller bike would bring stem nearer, yet afaik, cross bikes are a more upright position, main consideration is 10 kg over 14 kg, & swoping wheels between treads, sort of a posh hybrid as such.

Thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree. I know that carbon can be designed to have flex, but riding with steel forks yield a Massive comfort gain over carbon.

I disagree; the smoothest-riding forks I've ever had were some eXotic carbon rigids I fitted on my mountain bike when the Rebas leaked oil. They were so smooth that I didn't bother putting the Rebas back on. As a non-engineer my understanding is that carbon is very flexible in thin tubes where the resin bends readily util it reaches the limit of the carbon fibres, whereas as a thin-walled large diameter tube it is incredibly stiff, like a cardboard poster tube, until you hit it with a point impact.

vickster

Legendary Member
yes, a myth to many, im 5,8 & a 50 52 should be suited, short leg 29 as regards jeans not bike measure, i might fit a 49, not sure if smaller bike would bring stem nearer, yet afaik, cross bikes are a more upright position, main consideration is 10 kg over 14 kg, & swoping wheels between treads, sort of a posh hybrid as such.

Thanks
Don’t choose a road bike based on the manufacturer ‘size’. They use different measurements for the number (usually Top tube or seattube)

At 5’8, a 54cm TT should suit or a 52 with a longer stem

Venod

Eh up
As for carbon forks having "Some give" or giving a more comfortable ride, that is one of the biggest myths in cycling.

I have always questioned this, but I remember the introduction of carbon forks and when I first rode one the overwhelming impression was how smooth it felt and disorienting to not feel the road through the forks.

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Noted, I think my short legs & overall dumpy appearance inadequacy, tallied with downsize of cross from road, means a 50 or 52 would be fine & candy, I may of shrunk to 5,7 , 49 would be a tad 2 small, im basically like frodoh with a crewcut inc the spazy feat

Top Bottom