Second Hand Brooks Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Depends on what "out of shape" is, (worn in?) and to what extent. I mean, if it's visibly out of shape I wouldn't bother, it's very probably near the end of its life.
But you can easily find a Brooks on eBay that's a few years old and doesn't really have any sign of being used much, so they're worth a go.
Plenty of CC members will have bought a used Brooks, I know Cyclops for one has a well-used, pre owned one that he likes. But "out of shape" to me conjures up an image of "knackered". Once the leather has stretched it can be prone to tearing / breaking at the nose end.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
depends how far gone.

So long as they aren't cracked it is possible to de-tension them, soak them in water for an hour or two before and reshaping whilst drying, before re-treating / proofing them and re tensioning. it needs to be cheap to start with though, as that process is not without risk.

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

A few examples from the adds:
Brooks 2.jpg
Brooks 1).jpg
Brooks 3.jpg

Attachments

• Brooks 1).jpg
    Brooks 1).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 7

CanucksTraveller

The first one looks great actually, that's "lived in" rather than being worn out. I'd be all over that like a tramp on dropped chips if it's a good price, give the leather a clean and a treatment and it it'll look fabulous, it's probably really comfortable too (assuming your sit bones suit that model).
The second one I wouldn't be too fussed over, you can find better.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Another point to look at is how much it has already been tensioned. Ideally it will be broken in but the tensioning bolt will not have been used much or at all.

CanucksTraveller

In fact looking closely at the second one, there are already cracks in the leather at the nose (near to where the adjusting bolt is), that's where most Brooks fail when they eventually go and I'd say that one is on its way out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They all tend to 'spread' the older they are but that shouldn't affect comfort.

I've had a couple of bikes with saddles similar to the second and third examples above and worse. Personally, I value my knackers over absolute originality so have replaced them with examples more like the top one, which is ideal.

Brand new Brooks remind me of new school shoes - I always wanted to get them a bit 'lived in' as soon as possible. (Though admittedly, people don't rush up to a bike with a new Brooks, yelling "stamps" and stamping on it!^_^)

Top Bottom