Second hand road bike purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashley Preston

My wife bought me a newer road bike for my 50th birthday,over £3000 new,but the seller(ex GB cyclist and bike shop worker) wanted £1500 as a private sale. The previous owner had ridden it once(according to the email) and px'ed for a mb. The bike is a kuota,with bonty aeolous wheels,built in 2011,looks great.After about 500 miles the casing on one of the spokes went(cost new for the two wheels £1500).
The seller has offered me a set of aluminiums as a replacement,and the bonty's returned,otherwise does not want to know. I do not want the aluminium wheels as it would now be like having a Porsche with Ford wheels. The seller would also then probably profit by selling the one good bonty wheel.
The wheels are supposedly 2009/10,so not as new as I was told and the broken nipple casing really should not have happened on a new wheel. A repair will cost £400.00.If I had spent £1500 on a car at a local garage,I could ask for my money back,or a full repair,but not in this case.
Am I being unreasonable to expect more? Has the seller been a bit of a shark and sold me something not quite right?One minute I am riding around on my dream bike and suddenly face a repair bill of £400,and do not feel I have done anything wrong or deserve this. Any thoughts?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
How long ago was the purchase ?

Lee_M

Guru
My wife bought me a newer road bike for my 50th birthday,over £3000 new,but the seller(ex GB cyclist and bike shop worker) wanted £1500 as a private sale. The previous owner had ridden it once(according to the email) and px'ed for a mb. The bike is a kuota,with bonty aeolous wheels,built in 2011,looks great.After about 500 miles the casing on one of the spokes went(cost new for the two wheels £1500).
The seller has offered me a set of aluminiums as a replacement,and the bonty's returned,otherwise does not want to know. I do not want the aluminium wheels as it would now be like having a Porsche with Ford wheels. The seller would also then probably profit by selling the one good bonty wheel.
The wheels are supposedly 2009/10,so not as new as I was told and the broken nipple casing really should not have happened on a new wheel. A repair will cost £400.00.If I had spent £1500 on a car at a local garage,I could ask for my money back,or a full repair,but not in this case.
Am I being unreasonable to expect more? Has the seller been a bit of a shark and sold me something not quite right?One minute I am riding around on my dream bike and suddenly face a repair bill of £400,and do not feel I have done anything wrong or deserve this. Any thoughts?

err shoot happens?

How long have you had the bike ? 500 miles could be a week for some or 6 months or more for others, so its hard to comment in this particular case. Although you see it as a new bike it isnt, so I can understand the seller to a certain extent, a problem on a 2 year old bike isnt unusual

OP
OP
A

Ashley Preston

err s*** happens?

How long have you had the bike ? 500 miles could be a week for some or 6 months or more for others, so its hard to comment in this particular case. Although you see it as a new bike it isnt, so I can understand the seller to a certain extent, a problem on a 2 year old bike isnt unusual
Exactly,had since mid May,wheel went in last week of July,but did not ride it much as weather was bad in the Summer(remember?),it had to be put together a bit once I took possession,so rode my old bike instead. I was categorically told 'ridden once'!

Doseone

Guru
Sorry to hear your predicament and it must be disappointing to buy something that you are really happy with only to find out that its faulty. However, although this may sound harsh that is the risk you take buying second hand, especially if you bought privately. Sounds like the seller may have been less than truthful with you, but I don't think you have any come back on him whatsoever other than appealing to his better nature. It doesn't make it right though and I hope you get something sorted.

Cyclist33

"Caveat emptor". That's life.

Cyclist33

err s*** happens?

What difference does it make if the 500 miles were ridden in a week or 6 months? Surely bikes don't "remember" how and when they were ridden? If the 500 miles were put down over 5 century rides, or 50 rides of ten miles, what difference?

Stu

berty bassett

Legendary Member
guess it comes down to luck ! this time it is bad luck . you bought it working and it worked - now it don't - sounds horrible but it happens on second hand gear - thats why people get rid of stuff before it breaks - it may have lasted another 5000 miles but it didn't . thats the trouble with buying dear - it costs a lot to repair

MarkF

Guru
I can understand the problem, but not the complaint.

Lee_M

Guru
What difference does it make if the 500 miles were ridden in a week or 6 months? Surely bikes don't "remember" how and when they were ridden? If the 500 miles were put down over 5 century rides, or 50 rides of ten miles, what difference?

Stu

I actually meant if you'd done 500 miles in a week the seller might listen, but if you'd done it in 2 years theyd rightly say bog off

and if you only did 500 miles over 5 centuries are you honestly saying the bike would be perfectly rideable?

Big boy

Sounds like you was just unlucky mate it was ok when you bought it.
From the sellers point of view you was sold a spot on bike.
No one was to know that it was gonna do this, i think he is rather good to offer anything.
Hope you get it sorted

Bengarbage

mate, strip those wheels off and replace with half decent set, get them fixed and your laughing . i know it's a pisser, but in the long run its well worth it! failing that ill buy your dodgy wheels on a discount, pm me

sidevalve

Über Member
"Caveat emptor". That's life.
As you said yourself "if you'd bought a car at a garage", a garage is not a private sale and all the commercial rules apply [sale of goods act etc etc]. Much as you have my and everybody else's sympathy there's nothing you can do.

Cyclist33

As you said yourself "if you'd bought a car at a garage", a garage is not a private sale and all the commercial rules apply [sale of goods act etc etc]. Much as you have my and everybody else's sympathy there's nothing you can do.

Speak for yourself mate, he doesn't have my sympathy.

Top Bottom