Second story about cyclists "deliberately" ramming cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saundie

Über Member
"Lycra louts the lot of them. Cyclists should be run down at every opportunity. Unless, of course, they want to start to contribute to the road network. Ah, thought not."

Presumably that was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but unfortunately that does not come over well. The story itself seems pretty dubious, too, especially the part about "the ferocity of the attack led to the cyclist falling off his bike with cuts to his hand." How could anybody be stupid enough to throw their handlebar into the side of a car like that?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
"Lycra louts the lot of them. Cyclists should be run down at every opportunity. Unless, of course, they want to start to contribute to the road network. Ah, thought not."

Presumably that was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but unfortunately that does not come over well. The story itself seems pretty dubious, too, especially the part about "the ferocity of the attack led to the cyclist falling off his bike with cuts to his hand." How could anybody be stupid enough to throw their handlebar into the side of a car like that?

Ofcourse it should always be remembered its not down to cyclists to change the law on "contributions";)

Didn't we have a Cambridge car rammer here a short while ago?

Yep. That time was a woman driver who, it seemed from the story, had pulled out of a junction without looking and hit the cyclist iirc. Yet it was reported as a deliberate attack. You dont deliberately ride into a car, you could get seriously hurt

As Easy As Riding A Bike

As Easy As Riding A Bike

And we see the exact same pattern with this news story - again, only one witness (the driver) and yet again the 'ramming' is taken (as fact) to be 'deliberate'.

Something very funny going in Cambridge, either with the Police, or the reporting of these incidents by the local press.

Let's not forget that in cases where cyclists are severely injured in collisions, the press is always very careful not to attribute responsibility - usually by using blandly neutral language ("a cyclist was in collision with", etc).

These rules seem to have broken down at the Cambridge News when it comes to motorists being, apparently, on the receiving end.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
And we see the exact same pattern with this news story - again, only one witness (the driver) and yet again the 'ramming' is taken (as fact) to be 'deliberate'.

Something very funny going in Cambridge, either with the Police, or the reporting of these incidents by the local press.

Let's not forget that in cases where cyclists are severely injured in collisions, the press is always very careful not to attribute responsibility - usually by using blandly neutral language ("a cyclist was in collision with", etc).

These rules seem to have broken down at the Cambridge News when it comes to motorists being, apparently, on the receiving end.

Lack of a neutral language will damage any kind of conviction, even investigation prior if they're appealling for witnesses.

Just double checked. Both articles by the same reporter: Raymond Brown. His email address is on one page, but his name on the other.

ThePainInSpain

Anyone who knows Cambridge will know that there are probably more cycles than cars. Mostly ridden by students who have no real interest in cycling, it's just their only means of getting around. As this latest incident happened ' around midnight' I would suggests that he was probably p**sed. As with the incident where the 'cyclist' punched the car window and broke it. It takes some force to do that. These incidents are not carried out by cyclists, by by someone who just happens to be riding on a bike.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Anyone who knows Cambridge will know that there are probably more cycles than cars. Mostly ridden by students who have no real interest in cycling, it's just their only means of getting around. As this latest incident happened ' around midnight' I would suggests that he was probably p**sed. As with the incident where the 'cyclist' punched the car window and broke it. It takes some force to do that. These incidents are not carried out by cyclists, by by someone who just happens to be riding on a bike.

But do you not think there are dodgy discrepencies (sp?) in the stories? The only time I've ever seen deliberate ramming by cyclists is in pro cycling of any sort. Then it is body contact, not body on car.

I dont think he could have broken the window either, in the previous story, try it yourself, you'll break your hand first. Then try gripping the handlebars after. :huh:

As I said to Wheely above the stories could ruin investigation etc

Anyone who knows Cambridge will know that there are probably more cycles than cars. Mostly ridden by students who have no real interest in cycling, it's just their only means of getting around.

Most car drivers have no interest in cars either, bicycles are a legit form of transport so it should not be that surprising.

dav1d

Could Cambridge News be fined by the Press Complaints Comission (or whatever it's called)?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Could Cambridge News be fined by the Press Complaints Comission (or whatever it's called)?

I've tried raising this question on the CTC site, yet to get a reply as I think the thread has died interest-wise.
Similar articles have been published and received complaints with the PCC. The TV "chef" article by Martin being one. There is a criteria checklist on the PCC website that all press articles must follow.

thomas

the tank engine
But do you not think there are dodgy discrepencies (sp?) in the stories? The only time I've ever seen deliberate ramming by cyclists is in pro cycling of any sort. Then it is body contact, not body on car.

I dont think he could have broken the window either, in the previous story, try it yourself, you'll break your hand first. Then try gripping the handlebars after. :huh:

As I said to Wheely above the stories could ruin investigation etc

Sounds like the other side could easily be, cyclist cycling along. This car comes along too close. The rider is either hit, or looses balance 'cos of the pass and hits the car. Out of shock they defend themselves and bang on the car, thus breaking the window.

Have to say, if I was going to ram a car, I wouldn't be doing it on two wheels. Not to say that there are nutters out there who wouldn't...but kind of sounds fishy.

Top Bottom