Secondary Light Placement/Setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
With my main lights positioned in the standard places, front bars and seatpost, where would be the best place to put the second set of front/rear lights?

Also what is your preferred light modes if you run dual front and rear lights (steady/flashing) and where should they be?

Thanks.

The usual at the rear is to use the seatpost again. If you have a luggage rack, you can get a bracket at the rear. 2 blinking lights look horrible, they drift in and out of phase and make distance estimation impossible. Use one on steady.
Does anyone make a stem cap with a light bracket?

I have my main steady beam rear light on the back of the pannier rack and a flashing rear light on the seatpost. That way the steady beam is closer to vehicles approaching from behind and is easier for drivers to focus on and judge their distance from the bike.
On the front I have bar mounted steady lights and a small white flashing helmet mounted light. This is particularly useful at roundabouts.

Drago

Legendary Member
Secondary lights are adjacent to the first. Secondary lights on flashing, ready to flip to fixed if the primary light fails.

Ideally you want the lights as far apart as possible to give the brain of the observer references to determine your speed of approach, but there are practical problems doing this on a bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use a remote mount for the main lights and dual Cateyes (not fitted in this picture but you can see the mounts) on the handlebars, overkill I know but I often travel on unlit roads so need all the lighting I can get.

trike 003.JPG

Slick

Guru
I use a single cat eye steady on the seat post rear, and two side by side steady on the front, only one British Standard. I can't be doing with those massive flashing front lamps that are brighter than the sun and enough power to bring on an epileptic fit.

wisdom

Guru
Main light on rear of rack.2 extremely bright usb charged lights from amazon one on each rear stay.these I put on flash.

U

User32269

I use 2 fixed lights on bars for the front. 1 fixed rear on seat post, with secondary flashing on right hand seat stay about halfway up.

Top Bottom