Security tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ever helpful local bike shop gave me a good security tip when I bought the new Cannondale.

Put one of their cards with my name and post code on in the seat tube.

Won't stop the bike being nicked, of course, but should the bike be spotted for sale, it will sort all those: Is it really my bike? arguments.

Invisible post code marking does a similar job, but there's no need for a reader using the card method, making it easier for the owner to take direct - and swift - action to recover the bike.

Any other tips to help beat the thieves?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My LBS has marked my bike with THEIR postcode. That way if the bike is recovered they return it to the bike shop who then go through their records. And by having their postcode rather than mine it's still valid even though I've moved house.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Read something similar elsewhere the other day, but a senior moment intervened. Stood looking at my Cannondale this morning knowing I had planned on putting tape round the seat post to mark it for some reason but couldn't remember why. Thanks for the reminder.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I do that with my bikes, and have in the past, just remember to take the card out of the seat tube if you sell it on. A fellow I work with was thinking it would be a great dodge, just print up about 100 cards and place them in seat tubes at any country tavern or such. That sort of thoughtcrime is doubleplusungood.

paddypete

My ever helpful local bike shop gave me a good security tip when I bought the new Cannondale.

Put one of their cards with my name and post code on in the seat tube.

Won't stop the bike being nicked, of course, but should the bike be spotted for sale, it will sort all those: Is it really my bike? arguments.

Invisible post code marking does a similar job, but there's no need for a reader using the card method, making it easier for the owner to take direct - and swift - action to recover the bike.

Any other tips to help beat the thieves?
fill your bike with class A drugs,and hope the t leaf tries to leave the country with it

Top Bottom