See.Sense Ace ANT+ rear light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alsajosora

Über Member
So,
have just got myself one of these,
https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace
Now I'm wondering if any CC members have had any experience with this light.

The light itself is very nice and works as a rear light should.... What sold me on it was this line on the website.....
"SMART
Use the See.Sense app to see your stats or pair ACE with a compatible Garmin device thanks to ACE’s ANT+ technology."

Out of the box my light would not pair with my Garmin (520 with latest FW) or even see it.
Currently there is NO Android app so all the additional features such as changing the lights flashing modes/brightness/Brake light mode etc are unavailable to me...….(Apparently there will be a public beta in the play store at the end of this month) There is, however, an Apple iOS app and using a friends iPhone I was able to update the firmware on my brand new Ace.....

Now the Garmin sees the light and allows me to have it turn on when the Garmin is powered up (only happens about 50% of the time) or when the timer is pressed. It also allows you to check battery status. That is about it. To change light modes I have to again press the button on the light itself.....Kind of defeats the idea of pairing with my Garmin IMHO.....

The "smart" features of the light, as in increasing flash intensity in certain situations (approaching car lights, slowing down, moving off from lights/junction) all work well and mostly I am pleased with the light.....

Does anyone else have one of these and what has your experience been if you do?

gaijintendo

Veteran
There's a bit of chat predominantly about the Ace here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/british-cycling-new-smart-lights.240999/

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mine has been dumped in a drawer, I will fish it out in a few months and see if firmware updates fix it. So far pairing to my Edge 520 works occasionally, but never subsequently. In addition it turned itself off on a ride and refused to turn itself back on. Not ideal at 7.30am.

Slick

Guru
I think the collective are against it and there's nothing in your or Milkfloats posts to change anyone's mind.

I did like the thought of it, but the reality seems they are not there yet.

Nebulous

Guru
I bought a set on kickstarter. They've had issues with production and development, compunded by a major screw-up on delivery to those that funded the project. My tracking said my set arrived yesterday, and I'm not home until today, so I haven't even clapped eyes on them yet.

Like anything new there will be wrinkles to iron out - but hopefully they will get there.

I often run two pairs of lights in the winter, one on flash and one on solid, so these will become my flashing pair.

I backed it on kickstarter as I've had an ICON for a while. I've been using them as 'dumb' lights until the app comes out; they're fine, the auto on/off with movement is quite handy - I may not even bother connecting them to my Garmin in the end.

OP
OP
Alsajosora

Alsajosora

Über Member
Remembered about this thread when I found my ACE whilst tidying my man-cave. So I thought I'd update my thoughts about the ACE.....

Soooooo, long and short of it is like this.

After a firmware update the light is no longer seen by my Garmin 520......

Their status page has had the below on it since 2018...

"Currently, Garmin devices require additional network development to support more than one light. ACE rear units can pair with Garmin head units which support the ANT+ lighting profile. We are working to add front light support in a future firmware update."

https://seesense.cc/pages/status

Therefore the "ANT+" feature is null and void....

All the features provided by the app (such as changing light modes) only work IF you keep the app open and paired to the light...The light won't save your setting choice... I don't like running to many apps on my phone whilst out cycling, so have the Wahoo app connected to my phone so I can see who is calling/texting me which I find more useful ...
The battery seems to die very quickly, even when running the light in ECO mode....

Would I buy this light again?

Nope.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I can agree with the above. I have barely used mine and would not buy another SeeSense product again. The Android App promised 2 years ago is still only in beta. In the meantime, they keep dumping out new products via Kickstarter rather than fixing their current lineup.

Mine has been good, used regularly day and night. I don't use any of the features in the app, so that's of limited use to me. It's a good high brightness light, battery life has remained good as well.

OP
OP
Alsajosora

Alsajosora

Über Member
I think the point is that this is touted as a "smart light" with ANT+ connectivity and an app so that you can change settings etc, hence the price point...
In reality there has been no further development on the ANT+ connectivity and as @Milkfloat has pointed out above the app is still in BETA form....

I have subsequently purchased an ENFITNIX Cubelite II which has the auto start/stop feature, a light sensor to adjust the output of the leds depending on lighting conditions and a brake light function....

All for half the price paid for the ACE. If the ACE acted as advertised it would be a good light but it doesn't. For the way you are currently using it a light costing less than you have paid for the ACE would do the same job. ;O)

i bought the rear ace recently and at first it seemed okay the app doesnt show any of my rides and generally doesnt work then today i've put it on charge and now it wont turn on, it pairs via bluetooth and that is, bleeding useless if you ask me.

Top Bottom