British Cycling New Smart Lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
They seem awfully expensive, but I suppose there is a fair bit of clever tech inside them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shine brighter at moments of risk = disrupt the riders visual silhouette at moments of risk, so observers have a harder time calculating their speed.

We've been there with this in the Eighties on motorcycles, and it was discredited then. The passage of time hasnt affected how the brain interprets visual input to calculate an objects velocity. Another example how "commkn sense" rarely translates as intended.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Seems to be. I quite liked the idea of contributing data but I suppose I could give them my Strava details for nothing.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I got one via Kickstarter. The firmware is shite, half of the functions don’t work and the mounting bands snap. Hopefully they will fix these problems. They still have not explained how all the functionality is supposed to work. I would wait a while before investing and see if the troubles get fixed.
Shame, but thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I got one via Kickstarter. The firmware is shite, half of the functions don’t work and the mounting bands snap. Hopefully they will fix these problems. They still have not explained how all the functionality is supposed to work. I would wait a while before investing and see if the troubles get fixed.
They haven't got the apple app approved, or an android app finished... Which seems a bit of an oversight...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
i can't believe a discussion about lights that need an app. It's like the internet-connected toaster again.

Too too clever by half.

"ride longer" it says - how does that work if they are also on during daylight?

Gosh - you can link the light to an app that tells you when the batteries are low. I thought I already had a system for telling me when my light batteries are getting low. Worked for me on a recent nightime 125 mile ride with two Lidl fronts.

I could see perfectly well.

Why the f*** would I want to be seen 2km away?

I look forward to their version 2 which shines round corners. For 4km.

The lights can tell you when your bike is being interfered with/may be being nicked. Well a good way of making your bike more attractive to bad folks is to leave it with a nifty looking light on it I would have thought. Doh!

Built in batteries as well I am assuming.

The contemporary desire for many to complicate the simple pleasure of cycling never ceases to amaze me. Next thing these techno nuts will focus on is sex, with livetime individual app feeds for both parties. And their respective, possibly mutual, FB followers.

but thanks for the post slick. Interesting. Not accusing you of being captivated by such stuff.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Top Bottom