seeking damages for minor collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
How've you money left over?
Are the frame & forks still in good condition?

Quote would have to be done by a bike shop, not someone who is "good with bikes". His insurance would have rejected it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I decided against replacing the shifters, the damage is significant but they are still functional, and labour savings too due to good relationship with LBS.

Frame/Forks undamaged so bike is fully functional after repairs.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Thanks that's good to know.

Given that we settled privately, and not via insurance, I would argue that the driver has paid for the damage caused to my bike, specifically we agreed to settle on the basis of a quote from a mechanic. Regarding the shifters, the report does say they are functional, but quotes for replacement as it is not economical to repair cosmetic damage, I guess the only quibble area is the labour cost £10 for fitting. I could swing this morally as an inconvenience payment I guess :whistle:.

When I accepted the payment from the driver we agreed to sign a statement that stated that the exchange was final and was in relation solely to damages, so hopefully I am not in fraud territory!

I'd like more opinions on this, otherwise I may get the shifters replaced as I'm not trying to be dishonest here, I just assumed the money was mine to do as I see fit, I had even considered downgrading, would that be permissible?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks that's good to know.

However, given that we settled privately, and not via insurance, I would state that the driver has paid for the damage caused to my bike and it's loss of value and the total bill was based on the replacement cost of the items and my out of pocket expenses, not work that was carried out. Regarding the shifters, the report does say they are functional, but quotes for replacement as they are not economical to repair cosmetic damage).

When I accepted the payment from the driver we agreed to sign a statement (actually proposed by the driver) that stated so much, so hopefully not fraud territory!
Final by law. It could easily have been for less, leaving you out of pocket.

If the driver paid of £500 on the basis this was the amount quoted by the LBS for the necessary replacement of the relevant parts - including the shifters - plus labour, and you subsequently decide not to replace the shifters (despite the report saying they needed to be replaced) and don't refund the balance, then you are potentially into fraud territory... you can't simply keep any 'profit'.
Is that so? If my car is written off and my insurance company pay me enough to buy a replacement, am I obliged to buy it?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I can understand if they were wrongly led to believe work had been carried out when it hadn't, but in the case that the settlement is to cover my damages, I think I'll be ok!

I suppose when I do get around to replacing the damaged levers, when selling the bike on or otherwise, I'll be owed my time to replace them too!

I do appreciate the head's up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The shifters are still a mess. They might just fail anyway. The OP is entitled to the full cost of the bike being put right. I've had quotes from the bike shop to put things right, and sometimes you decide some bits can stay, for example shifters and pedals.

Anyway, if the OP added in the inconvenience and time wasted, even at basic pay, it soon adds up. Good result in the end !

Top Bottom