seeking damages for minor collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
What he needs to check is himself first, the bike second.
If after doing that he's happy with just the bike being repaired/parts replaced, that's upto him and him alone.

There'll be no second chance, once settled, whichever route is followed.

Lonestar

Veteran
My thought, is that the driver is a complete idiot. You are being extremely kind to him, and he should, metaphorically, rip your arm off, for a chance of getting away with a meagre £170. If he quibbles, I would certainly think about just going through insurance.

I agree.I hit a moped (low speed collision) a few years ago (my brakes failed in the wet/oil/new rims and cheap crap worn brake blocks) and was probably looking at paying him something like this just to be done with it but he decided to do a runner.Doubt there was much damaged anyway.Not as much as my front wheel.

The problem with DIY is that the labour costs and cost of parts can be disputed, whereas if you have an LBS then it is on more solid ground

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Ok, thanks all for the sound advice. The plan is take the bike to my LBS for the quote this evening. I'll give the driver a chance to pay up in full, if they go quiet or try to quibble, I'll pursue the drivers insurance company and get a second quote before I source parts or get work done.

Had a closer look at the bike and there appears to be no structural damage, but I cannot be sure until I take the bar tape off the drop bar. No need for ambulance chasers as I only have this:

LiYZ0dY.jpg

Just glad it wasn't worse!

Last edited:

BorderReiver

Veteran
Quite a few drivers appear to be happy to pay for damage to bikes until they find out how much the stuff costs. They start off thinking you could replace the whole bike for £200 and are horrified to find that will just about cover the cost of the shifters. As has been mentioned, the driver is getting off lightly- I suspect the loss of his no claims and excess would be over £200.

markharry66

Über Member
I have never paid for a quote from a local bike shop. If they are asking for a payment for a quote tell them to naff off

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Dropped the bike off at LBS. There's play in the handlebar stem, and buckled the rear wheel. Something was making funny noises so I don't think it's worth taking a chance on doing a DIY job.

Wondering now if the frame might be a write-off.

Spoke with the driver, they had the cheek to complain that the mechanic was taking a long time to get a quote (due on Saturday), I reminded them that it was me that had been inconvenienced and I have to seek alternative means of travel!

In the event I come back with a large bill or write off, I reckon this is going to end up going to the insurers... how long do I have to contact BC/solicitor?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Dropped the bike off at LBS. There's play in the handlebar stem, and buckled the rear wheel. Something was making funny noises on the way home so I don't think it's worth taking a chance on doing a DIY job.

Spoke with the driver, they had the cheek to complain that the mechanic was taking a long time to get a quote (due on Saturday), I reminded her that it was me that had been inconvenienced and I have to seek alternative means of travel!

In the event I come back with a large bill or write off, I reckon this is going to end up going to the insurers... how long do I have to contact BC/solicitor?
As soon as you're able really, stating what you have done. See Accident Advice for more help, you can refer back too at any time.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have never paid for a quote from a local bike shop. If they are asking for a payment for a quote tell them to naff off
general custom is that if you then have the work done they deduct the cost of the quote from the final tally, but that's not universal. I don't have an issue with it - I wouldn't give my expertise for free, especially if the business then didn't come my way.

vickster

Legendary Member
Dropped the bike off at LBS. There's play in the handlebar stem, and buckled the rear wheel. Something was making funny noises on the way home so I don't think it's worth taking a chance on doing a DIY job.

Spoke with the driver, they had the cheek to complain that the mechanic was taking a long time to get a quote (due on Saturday), I reminded her that it was me that had been inconvenienced and I have to seek alternative means of travel!

You have 6 years to claim for damages to property, 3 years for injury, but sooner the better. If a BC member, just make use of their services ASAP, tough on the driver. She should be reporting the accident to his insurers anyhow. And I think to the police as you were injured, however minor

Make sure you keep all receipts for transport etc

J1888

Über Member
Spoke with the driver, they had the cheek to complain that the mechanic was taking a long time to get a quote (due on Saturday), I reminded her that it was me that had been inconvenienced and I have to seek alternative means of travel

She sounds like a bit of an idiot

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A decent person would do everything possible to help you and be nice to you.

Sounds like this character has done nothing to help you and is moaning as well.

Get a solicitor and inform the police .

Do you think they will cough up if your bike is written off?

Keep all receipts for travel any damaged clothing etc.Personally I would visit the doc so your injury however slight is recorded.

They have done you zero favours.

Top Bottom