Seeya! - arallsopp does the LEL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Rimas! Fantastic. Well done for finishing. I lost sight of you somewhere shy of Gamlingay, and didn't know if you'd made it back. I have the biggest smile on my face right now. Bam! Instant friendship! :biggrin::ohmy:

Edit: Back story now corrected for misspelling your name. Sorry :eek:

Arch

Married to Night Train
More! More!

I love the jam jars bit....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
More tremendous stuff - and I have often thought one of the dangers of 'bents would be falling asleep, cos it's so-o-o-o comfy :rofl:

Went for a demo/trial 'bent ride with David Gardiner yesterday - great fun and very informative :biggrin: !
Tried Challenge Seiran SL, Nazca Fuego and Raptobike - an interesting mix :smile:

Now how is the piggybank :sad:

I am sitting in my sleeping bag in Poznan Poland having knocked out around 8000k over the past few months feeing quite proud of myself - im not in same leauge - pop out for weekend and knock off 1200k and then write such a briliant account - absolutely wicked - well done - Ive not managed to read the whole lot (tentonet is not that quick) but when i get home it will be a must

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Arallsopp - I'm near dying of asphixiation, I've been holding my breath so long :biggrin:.

Tell your employers that you need some time to keep your reading public happy - I'm sure they'll oblige :laugh:.

PLEASE, PLEASE can we have the next instalment ??? :biggrin:

Alf

Guru
Thanks for your replies about the GPS use, Andy. Will have a go with your approach to see how I get on with it.

Stuck in 53/11, only 400Km to go - all over bar the shouting!

Surely he must get these gears fixed. You can't do 400Km in 53/11!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Copied from a different forum, Arallsop writes:
I've got a couple of legs left on the ride report, and can't remember for the life of me what time I arrived where.

Didn't help that I backed the GPS up to a USB key, which the other half then used as a disposable data caddy.

Ack...
... so, until such time as he gets his act/memory together brevet card returned to him, we all have to bait our breath a bit more ... and wait :biggrin:

;)

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Lol. Its coming. There is a magic spreadsheet floating around the web that has anonymised times logged on it. I was a conspicuous starter, so could find my row very quickly. Much assistance from the other place.
Now to get those bl00dy employers out of the way... ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
From YKW:
[quote author=Danial Webb link=topic=24338.msg436167#msg436167 date=1254310223]
If anyone wants to know their recorded intermediate times, drop me a line.
[/quote]

;) ... :smile: ... :sad: .... :wahhey:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Afternoon all. Right, as its my birthday, I've locked myself into a meeting room and promised I won't leave until I get one more leg written up... Here it comes.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thursday 0301hrs. Arrive Thorne Control. Miles travelled: 690. Miles to go: 186. Sleep.

I park up against the railings, grab the water bladder from my bag, unwrap the brevet card, and stumble indoors. Things are ok. I’ve ridden over 190 miles since leaving Eskdalemuir and am now ready for a good sleep. If I can do again tomorrow what I’ve done today, I should finish in time.

First I need fuel. My brain has been resisting the maths, but I force it through anyway. It takes me an hour to work this out:

Lea Valley checkpoint closes at 1040am Friday…
(Eat some food).

190 miles today has taken me almost 24 hours…
(Try to pour a drink. Use both hands. Still miss)

I have the same distance to go.
(Wander back outside. Check zip ties).

I need to keep at least 4 hours slack in case things go awry.
(Amble back inside… Start looking for a bit of floor).

I need to be out of here whilst there are still 28 hours to go.
(Slump towards carpet. Do NOT close eyes).

10:40am Friday, minus 28 hours (count backwards on fingers)… 06:40am Thursday.
(Can I inflate my camelbak to use as a pillow?).

Knock 40 minutes off to grab some breakfast...

I need to wake up at 6.

I turn on the Blackberry to set an alarm, and find its already gone 4.
Necessity trumps commitment. I set it for 7.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thursday 0700hrs. Homeward Bound.

This is it then. My final day. The first thing I see is the phone’s snooze button, dancing in and out of focus in a seductive waltz of amelioration. I resist her charms, knowing I’ve already traded an hour from the schedule. Trying not to think too much, I unwrap limbs and haul myself outdoors.

The sun has a 2 hour headstart on me, but hasn’t used the time to much effect. Riders stumble around in the grey light, with the odd gait of those who spend a lot of time at sea. I’m not quite awake. Eyes are operating in low polygon mode. Nobody seems to be casting shadows. 5 deep breaths. Go get breakfast.

Word indoors is the meteorologists aren’t done with us yet. The MET office has issued a Severe Weather Warning for the entire East side of England. The casualty report of yesterday runs at 64 abandons, with still more missing in action. We’re going to be in the thick of it again.

Honestly though. This is England. Verdant pastures. A green and pleasant land. Even when its bad, its little more than inclement. Scotland has recalibrated my tolerances, inuring me against foul weather and permanently waterproofing my spirits. I’m nearly home. It’ll be fine. Get back to the bike. Next time that sun rises, I’m done.

As I pour myself on to the seat, I am grateful for the supine layout of the bent. All around me, DF riders perform a delicate ballet of contact points, trying to pull away whilst simultaneously keeping weight off handlebar, saddle and pedals. As I move to join them, it rapidly becomes obvious that the losses in ergonomics have been traded for huge gains from physics. Press-ganging the mass of the earth into the war against inertia, they stand straight legged, letting gravity pull their weight down through the pedals. Horizontal, I have no such luxury, and at 0737 I perform a knees only exit, wobbling unconvincingly forward, still wedged in top.

A few minutes from the car park, I am pretty much up to speed. I find myself approaching a stationary rider, held motionless at a junction, arms stretched out like a scarecrow. I drift to a halt alongside and ask if he’s ok. He doesn’t turn toward me, and I begin to dread some Stephen King style reveal. Seems I get jumpy when I’m sleep deprived. In broken English, he explains he’s lost a page from his routesheet and is trying to retrace his steps Southward over the next 50 miles from memory. Paranoia aside, this is not a good thing. Firstly, we’re at the first instruction on a 30 line page. Second, we’re not going back via Wragby, so 90% of the next leg is going to be new ground. I explain as best I can, and am granted a simple utterance in return.

“I follow you.”

Seems to be a statement of intent rather than a request, but fair on, these roads are flat and featureless. A little company will make life easier. We head off together, crossing the railway, then the canal. The landscape remains unchanged as Yorkshire’s East Riding first gives way to Doncaster, then North Lincolnshire. On the approach to Sandtoft, we swing right into territories new, due South on a road so straight that we’re in Nottinghamshire by the time we make a turn. The promised rain is holding off, but the wind sits heavily against our chests, pulling at our shoulders, pushing against us in a constant wall of enervation. Without tree, turn, or town to vary the strain, its hard going just to keep the pedals turning. All the way, my silent companion sits 10 inches from my back wheel. I’m pretty sure that two bikes travel faster than one, but it sure would be nice if he’d take a turn at the front for a while.

Or just speak.

Doesn’t even have to be English.

I know I’m running out of sugar when resentment begins to build. Why won’t he go infront? The road doesn’t even have any turnings for the next 2 miles. Even then, it’s a SO:X. I pull towards the verge, motioning him around me. He slows, still on my back wheel, and waits. I stop.

Ok. Time to raid the stores. I take a few good mouthfuls of water, and wash down an energy gel. Take off the windproof. Stretch my legs. He’s going to follow me all the way. Might as well get on with it.

Back on the bike, waddle it up to speed then hook into the pedals. Push hard to keep momentum, swing South over the Idle, through Misterton, and over the canal as we exit. Passing under the railway, I spy a handful of riders up ahead, air pressure binding them into tight pelotons. Walkeringham, Beckingham, we pass each little group, but the wheelsucker stays with me.

We leave via a roundabout on the A631, joining the dual carriageway to approach Gainsborough. By the time we cross the Trent into Lincolnshire proper, we are resplendent in haulage and motorway style crash barriers. We get our first dose of rain as we climb Foxby Hill out of Gainsborough, slowly building as we tick off Somerby, Upton, Kexby, Willingham, Stow, Sturton.

Another long straight drag extends South East over the Till, tipping upwards at the end to reveal riders waiting to turn right along Lincoln Cliff towards North Carlton. Tucking in behind, we are rewarded with a view that extends back into Nottinghamshire. 60 metres up, over this kind of range, I can clearly see the weather system gathering strength. As we continue South towards Burton and over the A46, the heavens begin to open.

The steep descent into Lincoln sees our rising pace matched by an equivalent increase in the ferocity of the weather. We’re in full on cloud burst by the time we reach edge of town. I’m feathering the brakes as I go, pulling back on the levers when either wheel has traction, easing off whenever we start to drift. Peaking 23mph, I follow the GPS and routesheet into Yarborough Road, and am suddenly confronted by industrial size kitchen bins blocking the route ahead. I brake heavy, and claim the gentlest of nudges from the rear. Suffice to say that by the time I’ve scrambled a 3 pointer, my mute shadow is giving me a little more space on the road.

Lincoln city centre has diversion signs out. He and I spend the next few minutes taking exploratory stabs into cul-de-sacs of varying depth. Having collected a wet cyclist from each dead end, we eventually reach a critical mass where the wisdom of crowds comes into effect. Tendrils of the group slowly unravel towards the high street. We’re now moving at a far more pedestrian pace, and our rising numbers are gathering attention from the roadside.

“Why would you go for a ride TODAY?” (Hmmm… How to explain this? Technically, we went for a ride on Sunday…)

“Where are you going?” (The most credible answer seems to be Washingborough. We tried ‘London’, but people didn’t believe us.)

“Is it a race?” (I’m assuming they’ve spotted the numbers taped to our frames, as our pace is less than expeditious.)

We leave the heavier rain in Lincoln, heading due South on a very industrial looking Broadgate. Its dual carriageways take us over Pelham Bridge, the motor traffic increasing in velocity and frequency as the road widens. The raised pace better suits my gearing, but the weight of traffic is becoming nothing short of frightening. Fenced in by guardrails and ‘get in lane’ signs, there is little option to reconsider, until, just when I decide its clearly all gone wrong, the pack swings left onto a quiet lane, towards Canwick.

The change is instant. Traffic noise mutes immediately. The pace slows. Bird song. We idle along the hillside above the cemetery, claiming our first proper view of the imposing medieval cathedral, rising across the valley over Lincoln. As we descend under the railway, a scattering of houses spring up on our right. Less than a mile later, reversed by our new approach, the control appears on our left.

yello

You've just reminded me off that downpour. It was indeed of the biblical type proportions, with added wind. We (myself and Simon of the Moulten) were on the worst stretch of road I encountered the entire ride; narrow and solid with trucks, really hairy and dangerous in those weather conditions. I wondered why we'd been routed down that way because even in decent weather it would have been unpleasant. We sheltered under a bridge for 10 minutes to allow the worst to past. I reckon I was around a couple of hours ahead of you at that point... and slowing!

Lincoln was a bit of a pain to navigate, my Edge pointing wistfully in a general direction that seemed to require me to ride up the side of overpasses etc. It was, as you say, an oasis of calm once out of it.

From your accounts, I think I was in Eskdalemuir southbound at the same time as you. Though, that said, there were quite a few people there Tuesday night/Wednesday morn!

Top Bottom