Seeya! - arallsopp does the LEL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo Yello.

....ah the storm that kept on giving. I think it pretty much followed us down the country from there. Friendly little bugg3r it was too:smile:

Looks like the Etrex and Edge have the same chipset or something, 'cos mine was adamant that if I would only continue a quarter mile through a few misplaced buildings and a railway track, all would be fine. :rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HAPPY :blush: TO YOU :laugh: and THANK YOU :blush:

I think you can leave the room now .... :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
arallsopp said:
Thanks Scoosh! I'll get me coat. :blush:
NO ! NO!

P-L-E-A-S-E stay and finish it off .... [but there again, it IS your :blush:]

No, decision made :biggrin:

Go home and have a great :blush: dinner - you deserve it !

:laugh:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thursday 1105hrs: Arrive Washingborough. 23hrs 35minutes left, and 137 miles to go. Still stuck in top...

There’s a fair amount of duck and cover going on in the control. The capricious distribution of sunshine and monsoon has left the pack dominated by rumour and superstition. All eyes are on the windows as the landscape outside is alternately baked and drenched by the whims of weather. The viciousness of the deluge is tempered only by its tight focus, and each batch of arriving randonneurs demonstrate an inverse bell-curve of bone dry or sodden. One brave soul sleeps outside on a bench, whilst other side of the building rattles under the downpour.

Departing riders gather against the glass, trying to gauge their exit to avoid the frequent stripes of heavy rain. As I approach the brevet desk, I hear my wheelsucker chance his routine on another of our number. I duck out of sight, wondering if he’s been doing this all the way…

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

1157hrs: Depart Washingborough. Targeting Thurlby.

The sun is reflecting brightly off the still wet tarmac, as I leave on roads now recognizable from the way up. I’m back on the main drag, and making good time. The route South from here will toy with the Eastern edge of Lincoln escarpment, rolling us up and down the limestone ridge, scribing a sine wave of some 30m amplitude into my GPS. The terrain suits my gearing and mood perfectly, push hard, gather speed, blast down, hit the next one still rolling.

My lightweight windproof jacket does little to keep out the rain, so I’ve stashed it in my seat pack along with my gloves. This leaves me with a thin baselayer worn over the short sleeved commemorative LEL jersey, and a buff. This is my preferred costume for day rides. Its reasonably cool in direct sun, acts like a wet-suit in pouring rain, and dries rapidly whilst still in place. What’s left in the ride, after all, is little more than a day’s effort. I’ll put the extra layers back on if it gets cold after nightfall.

Just as I start to climb into Branston, the storm comes back in force. Looks like I’ve timed this all wrong. Thick and greasy raindrops hurl themselves into the floor around me. A mad percussionist in the cloud above bends pavement into snare drums, cars into a steel pan orchestra.

Waiting at the crossroads at the top of town, I can see heavier clouds coming in from the North, dragging rains across the junction directly in front of me with the clatter of dropped cutlery. The temperature drops a few degrees, and the hail begins. Stretched out on the bent, I’m a tempting target for the avalanche, and have to quickly manoeuvre myself under the protective portico of a handy Euronics store.

I’m barely tucked in, my right arm is drenched, but at least it doesn’t hurt any more. The tiny white exocets bounce comically onto my chest, unable to hit me with any force. I stay here for 3 minutes. A wall of freezing rain marks the tail end of the storm fringe, and I realise that if I’m going to outrun this thing I need to get ahead of it. I don’t wait for the rain to stop before pulling out and giving chase.

The landscape opens up as I clamber up towards Metheringham. I’m pushing hard at 17mph, and can clearly see the maelstrom edging along the steep Western scarp of the Cliff a mile or so to my right. The road ahead will take me South for another couple of miles, before swinging me directly across its path. Passing Blankney, we’re about neck and neck, but as I plunge through Scopwick the winds are already starting to whistle around me.

I begin to appreciate why the geography curriculum commits so much time to the architecture of weather, and so little to learning where things actually are. Cars, and to some degree my GPS, have reduced navigation to simple fuelling choices, but knowing what that storm will be doing ten minutes from now could change everything. 5 miles under those clouds will take more effort than 40 in the dry.

I’m blinded by glacial rain on the approach to Digby, but daren’t slow down. Pushing on into the wall of hail, the storm swallows me once again. Crosswinds batter me. Twisting updrafts drive freezing water into my skin. I’m laid back, taking most of it on my chest and thighs. A two inch puddle has formed in my seat. A primal scream drives me onward.

I push on as fast as I dare, head tucked into my chest against the hail. I’ve got the buff pulled up tight under my eyes, and am trying to exhale downward to keep my glasses from fogging. The exertion is making it hard going, and I’m frequently losing sight of the kerb to my left. Deciding that the overhang of my helmet will protect my eyes from the worst of it, I tuck my glasses into my shirt instead.

Just past Dorrington, I finally graduate into warm rains, and from there into sunshine once more. The dark amaranthine threat above shrinks in my mirror, finally losing ground behind me. I speed on to Ruskington, pushing hard to extend my lead as the road takes me East through the town. I want some space between me and another dose. I’ve been on the road for an hour, and have already been drenched twice.

On momentary high ground, I can see the road ahead curving lazily around Leasingham Moor, taking me West into Sleaford. I’ll lose time cutting across country, and am likely to pick up a third soaking before this one dries off. Surfing the front of the storm is going to see me repeatedly dunked, but I’ve no idea how far back the storm reaches. If I wait for it to pass, I could lose hours. Besides the underpass of the A17, there’s no protection to hide me anyway. No. The next control is probably no further than 25 miles away. I can get there, and either skip on or sit it out with some food and company. Its not that bad.

Just as I’ve resolved to keep going, I’m brought to a sudden halt by an explosive burning in my right eye. Bug strike! A direct hit at 25mph. I lose a few minutes at the side of the road, squatted down, waiting, eye folded tight against the pain. Should have put my glasses back on. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

The pain doesn’t recede. My rocking figure attracts the help of a rambling couple, who kindly dab at me with tissues. My eye is streaming effusively, but they can find no evidence of the bug, nor shrapnel from its tiny body. I resolve that the burning is probably more the result of ingress by massage oil, and crack open the seat pack to get my medi-pack and swabs. Although the aeropod is sold as water resistant, it clearly wasn’t expecting things to be this wet, and I find I’ve been carrying a puddle with me for the last few days. The first item I remove from its depths is a travel pack of tissue, which has been melded by the rain into a giant stogie of cold wet paper. To be honest, this is pretty much ideal, and I keep it held against my eye for a few more minutes whilst I locate the saline pipette.

After waving a handful of randonneurs past, I make my way back to the road. Again I’m indebted to my wife for purchasing (and insisting I bring) the first aid kit.

Rimas sails past on the descent, and I give chase. My eye is still burning, so I pop the right lens out of my glasses and allow the drizzle to cool it. This has hidden benefits, as not only am I now entirely fog proof on the remaining lens, I also have one eye for drizzle, and one for hail.

I push on to through Sleaford, over the level crossing, and am embraced by the storm once again. I recognise the pattern as the road swings right, breaching concentric walls of freezing rain, hail, and spray. This time, its cooling effect is entirely welcomed and I push through without complaint. I emerge on the road South to Stow, chasing a tandem couple up and down over the bumps.

I catch them on the outskirts of the village, and spend the next few miles in very pleasant company. Turns out they hail from Costa Rica, but their UK base is on my daily commute. We’re pretty much matched for speed over this terrain, so have plenty of time to agree we’re all about to get drenched again. I stay with them until just after 2pm.

Rounding the corner towards Aslackby, I start to hallucinate tiny figures in the verge ahead. Not sure if its exhaustion, rain playing havoc with my vision, or some bizarre after effect of the bug strike, but I’d swear there are pixies lining the right hand side of the road. As I get closer to the junction, I can clearly make out impish faces tucked under bright coloured caps. There’s maybe 5 of them, beady little eyes watching me, each figure ranging between 8 and 16 inches tall. They’re actually quite realistic looking...

As I slow up to wipe some of the rain out of my eyes, I realize that there is a hidden trench running under the tree coverage on my right. Laid up within it with only their heads visible through the grass is a small platoon of riders. Better than that, I recognise the front and rear markers as Gerry and Brian. They invite me into their makeshift shelter, and I gratefully accept.

I am introduced to Greenbank and Xavier, and we happily pass ten minutes, speculating over the weather, watching the rains build again, waving at the Costa Ricans as they diligently plough past. Gerry very kindly offers me his jacket, but the thought of putting dry over wet seems pointless. We opt instead to celebrate with a photograph.

4032212159_63344bb167_o.jpg

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thursday 1422hrs. Diversionary tactics

From our verge side camp, all seem pretty confident the storm will move West. The feeling in the group is that we should wait here for the worst of it to pass, then tuck in behind and nip down the ‘alternate’ route of the A15 to Thurlby. Its 9 rather than 12 miles, and is significantly faster road. Best of all, it stays due South, and will keep a few miles between us and the projected path of the rain.

This is my first Audax, and I’m not entirely sure that what we’re about to do is within the rules. I hang back as the group set off, looking to Brian for advice. My dithering nearly dismounts a few of us, and turns out to be entirely wasted when Brian announces he’s taking the A15 too. Good enough for him is good enough for me. Not in top gear at 5 mph though... I push hard and get rolling.

We part with the received route at a crossroads, and an infectious mood moves through the group. The sun is out, the surface smooth. I begin to feel like a truant schoolboy, errantly bunking double geography.

We turn due South, get a little dip, and then plough straight into a climb. There’s a long crest, but I can see the pattern repeats ahead at least twice more. Consistent with every hill since Yad Moss, my compulsory gear choice demands I hit each summit at a fair lick. The traffic is fast moving and this is not the place for a wobbly ascent. We’re travelling at about 20mph on the downs, maybe 12 on the ups, but my forced cadence is going to kill my knees if I try to climb at less than 15. I need to take advantage of the gradient whilst its still in my favour.

Of course, I can’t just break away, as my navigation has been reduced to following a rear wheel, off-piste on a route sheet that relies on dead reckoning. As we begin the next dip, I ask the wheel’s owner for confirmation of the route ahead. The call comes back “Just head down 20 miles or so, then swing right!!!”

Seems simple enough. I push ahead, and shoot past the front marker doing about twice his speed. By the next summit, they’re gone from my mirrors, lost on the other side of the hill. I’m treated to a solo climb around some woodland, then the ground begins to level out. The road curves right to pass between Hanthorpe and Morton, past Cawthorpe still moving fast. I take advantage of a section of flat road to pull up the waypoint marking the next control on the GPS. With some surprise, I note that its less than 10 miles away. I’m moving faster than I thought.

20 seconds later, I hit the outskirts of Bourne. The diversion loses a few cleverness points when I discover the main road through town is being dug up. With the traffic slowed to near standstill, I edge gingerly through the queues, determined not to get stranded here in top. I spent 5 minutes happily trailing a white people carrier, claiming waves from the occupants of the rear seats.

As I clear the roundabout marking the Southmost extent of town, the rollers begin again. I get another short climb, resolving in a nice descent through Northorpe. I’m leaning in hard for the countering swell when the GPS sends me right on a tiny residential road that I recognise from the way up. Last time I was here I was chasing the sag wagon. Now I’m 780 miles into my ride, and only a hundred miles from home.

I’m going to make it.

I greet a few cyclists as they depart the control, all of whom are most surprised that I’m facing the wrong way.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Goodness! That was a long one. Sorry all. Looks like my subconcscious is determined to hold onto this report.
Will try to be more concise with the last legs. :biggrin:

yello

Ah ha! I passed the assembled mass on that very grass verge! It looked to me as if they'd all run off the road in a mass pile up! You may well have been amongst them, though I don't recall seeing a recumbent.

I was riding with Simon of the Moulten at that point. We were both suffering; he with wounded knees, me with swollen ankle and inflamed achilles. Our progress was slow and steady and we'd been playing leapfrog with that yacf posse for some miles. I seem to recall one of them lost their cap and then came trundling back to find it.

We lost them after the grass verge so I assumed they'd taken the A15 alternate. Wise move I reckon. The route sheet version was probably a little more taxing!

Reading your reports is bringing it all back to me. I'm actually beginning to feel quite nostalgic, even kindly towards it! At the time, it was hell!!

Greenbank

Über Member
It was very comfy in that ditch (that's me in the ACF shorts in that photo). I could have stayed there for hours but I knew that the Thurlby control was only a bunch of miles down the road (it may have been me that said 20 miles!) and the food there was excellent on the way up.

P.S. Belated hello to Rimas, I was in the YACF bunch that you finished with.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
arallsopp said:
Goodness! That was a long one. Sorry all. Looks like my subconcscious is determined to hold onto this report.
Will try to be more concise with the last legs. :smile:
It's BRILLIANT :biggrin:

More concise ? - don't you dare ;)

Your loyal supporters demand grovellingly request more ;)

It's also great to read the input from Yello, Greenbank et al, who were there as well and are so much part of this amazing, fascinating account.

Thanks, guys - though I still think you are completely bonkers :laugh:

yello

PBP.... hmmm...... if you'd have asked me 2 months ago then the answer would most definitely have been NO!!!! But, I dunno, time heals all achilles!

Yep, come on arollsopp, we know you finish, it's the way it's written that is enjoyable!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:bravo:Another fan here ... I read the whole thread start to finish last night :laugh: - until well past my normal bedtime ... great stuff! I guess I've been spoilt as I haven't had to wait for a new installment until now ... PLEASE can we have more? And soon? ;)

But I have to agree - bonkers doesn't quite do you and your fellow LEL- ers justice ;). I've read plenty about ultra running (e.g. West Highland Way Race, go to "previous" & "race tales" - 95 miles), this is the first time I've seen something similar for bikes ...

T

Top Bottom